Minimal bass VST?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
matthewordie

Minimal bass VST?

Post by matthewordie » Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 pm

New to synths and creating sounds, so I'm not really sure best plugins for doing what yet. I'm curious if there's a specific VST I can use to make simple minimalistic bass sounds with. Something along the lines of (hate to say this) but Postal Service? Something that sounds clean and almost real, but has a synth sound to it still.

AceLuby

Re: Minimal bass VST?

Post by AceLuby » Wed May 18, 2011 7:32 pm

matthewordie wrote:New to synths and creating sounds, so I'm not really sure best plugins for doing what yet. I'm curious if there's a specific VST I can use to make simple minimalistic bass sounds with. Something along the lines of (hate to say this) but Postal Service? Something that sounds clean and almost real, but has a synth sound to it still.
Whatever you have will probably get you there, what synths are you familiar with?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

matthewordie

Post by matthewordie » Wed May 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Honestly I'm not, I'm starting from scratch. This is kind of a new endeavor for me, partially because its easier to record with synths in an apartment. And partially to try something new.

What I'm currently doing is pitch shifting guitar to make it sound like a bass. Which works so so, still sounds like guitar sometimes. I used reason a little bit a few years ago, but I honestly don't want to go through the headache that is "rewire". Not for just one or two modules.

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu May 19, 2011 1:43 pm

a blank operator and a saturator can get you pretty far.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu May 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Learn operator, one oscilator at a time, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. Otherwise, just pick any free VST and learn how synthesis works.

Oscilators make the sound, filters filter out frequencies, effects effect what's left, LFO's modulate the filters, osc, effects, and other things depending on the synth. Most synths will have these basic functions. Figure out for yourself how each one works and in no time you'll be able to hear a bass and have a decent understanding on how its built.

be tonal

Post by be tonal » Fri May 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Lots of automation is important too, some subtle, some extreme. Use the clip envelopes!

triss

Post by triss » Fri May 20, 2011 2:47 pm

You can probably do it in a simpler! It makes a good simple synth as well as a sampler. Get the Live 7 content.

Dunno about postal service but low pass squares or pitch bent sine waves are what i think of when i think minimal bass.

matthewordie

Post by matthewordie » Fri May 20, 2011 4:13 pm

I was trying out Operator, it's been a good start. The default A oscillator is a pretty simple bass sound. I was able to add a little bit of grunge to it pretty easily. Definitely a good start, thanks for all the feedback so far. I'll check out simpler tonight.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri May 20, 2011 5:49 pm

matthewordie wrote:I was trying out Operator, it's been a good start. The default A oscillator is a pretty simple bass sound. I was able to add a little bit of grunge to it pretty easily. Definitely a good start, thanks for all the feedback so far. I'll check out simpler tonight.
There are lots of options w/in one oscillator. Try out the different wave forms to see how each one sounds and tweak away.

5id

Post by 5id » Sat May 21, 2011 5:32 am

If your going to try simpler here's a lovely simpler pack with samples from the monomachine.

http://olivermaass.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... s-simpler/
Xone:DB4, MBP, and a lovely set of one's n' two's

triggerpad

Post by triggerpad » Sun May 22, 2011 8:58 am

cool vst is the new uhe tyrell, you can download it at http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26 ... le_id=3372
it has very good bass presets and it is free!

m:o

Post by m:o » Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

can't resist :-)

serious
after you mastered the sine bass and lusting for further development:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

eshaa83

Post by eshaa83 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 am

great thing....
love it

techforums123

Post by techforums123 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:05 pm

DILLIE BASE VST ,
The badest plugin on the net. Released early 2008, this simple but effective plug-in has helped many independent producers with there tracks, including dilliot2k. Designed with synthedit, this plug-in generates low frequencies for a good foundation in music production. It will go as low as you want it. It also has a indicator light to let you know when signal is being passed through it when its muted. That light can also help to let you know if your are midi peripherals are working. This plugin is hot, and I still use it to this day. The dillie base plugin.

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 am

A synth with one saw and one square osc, filtered low with just a bit of filter envelope pluck, can be a good starting point for something that's a bit like a bass guitar but more "synthy".