Pedal to start/stop track

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
chrisaxe21

Pedal to start/stop track

Post by chrisaxe21 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 am

Hi,

Are there any pedals / midi controllers / USB pedals etc that can start/stop and record a loop on one track/channel? The same pedal must be used to select the next track/channel and start/stop a recording?

I'd like to be sat at my drums and push this pedal, play a quick beat, push the pedal and then Ableton will loop that. I can currently do this using my mouse, but it's not so easy switching from my drums to using a mouse and back. Once the drum track is done, I'll pick up my guitar and record a loop on the next track...so, are there any pedals that can do this?

Thanks

Chris

MartinFuhs

Re: Pedal to start/stop track

Post by MartinFuhs » Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Basically every Midi Foot Controller can do this for you. Behringer's FCB1010 would be a solution (though a bit expensive, but well worth the money if you need something that should send more than one Signal).

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

Hi,

Ok, FCB1010 on it's way. You actually reminded me of this as I was looking at it a year or two ago. I agree, great pedal! Lots to play with. thanks for the reminder!

My only question would be can I have external pedals connected into the FCB1010? I have instruments dotted around my studio so it would be good to be able to start/stop each track from a pedal next to the instrument.

hope you can help.

Kind regards

Chris

wheat

Post by wheat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 am

chrisaxe21 wrote: My only question would be can I have external pedals connected into the FCB1010? I have instruments dotted around my studio so it would be good to be able to start/stop each track from a pedal next to the instrument.
Mine just arrived today. It has two footswitch inputs on the back. I have a pair of Boss FS-5U's that I want to try using with these, but I haven't tested it yet. So my guess would be: yeah, doable.

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am

Hi,

Yes, I'm getting the hang of the FCB now. I'm using the PC Editor to setup each of the banks and their pedals as "riverdance" to set it up was becoming tiresome!

What is weird though, I've gone into Ableton and Midi MAP, clicked on a purple icon and pressed a pedal on my FCB. It registers it as 1/22 which is what I setup as a MIDI CC note in the FCB editor software. When I'm out of Midi mapping mode and press the same pedal it doesn't activate the icon (ARM track #1 in this case), yet it registered in Midi Map mode.

What setting in Ableton or different mode on the FCB do I need to use for this to work?

Thanks

Chris

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:32 am

One problem with midi foot controllers is they tend to work in a "latching" mode - push once for on then push again for off. This is definitely true of my Yamaha pedal board and it's royal PITA to use for triggering because of this. only every alternate button push has the effect I want.

IMO what you need for triggering clips is something more like the pedal board on an electronic organ that just sends note on/off messages. but MIDI versions of these are rare and outrageously expensive. I've decided I need to get a cheap midi keyboard and radically remodel it for foot operation.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi,

Ok FCB1010 all setup, CC notes for every pedal in every bank, so that's 100 CC notes to control Ableton with! Having great fun so far!

I also have a latching pedal plugged into Switch 1 on the back. I simply cannot get this pedal to do anything! I was hoping to use this external pedal to start a clip on one track, but I can't seem to do that. I've also tried Switch 2 just in case. No joy.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards

Chris

wheat

Post by wheat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Maybe. Quick skim of the manual indicates those jacks on the back are outs for sending to, say, a channel switching amp, rather than ins for two extra footswitches. I don't know if there's a way to repurpose them or not.

Of course, you could use any of the other assignable footswitches on the FCB1010 for this (maybe map the same FS in every bank or use one bank for utility things like start/stop, tap tempo, etc.)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm

For Windows there is a free keyboard layout configuration program, "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=22339

The default when you bring it up will disable all keys except the space bar (as I remember), but if disabled you can always enable it). In any case, you can save and load various layouts; for me, bringing the program up disables every thing except the spacebar; exiting the program brings the normal keyboard back. I haven't tested if it lets you choose between two concurrent keyboards yet...

You can then use the keyboard with all keys disabled (except the spacebar) as a footswitch - gluing a riser to the top of the spacebar will make it even better (and there are other ways I can think of as well)..

This means you don't have to remove the other keys from the keyboard, since only the space bar will be active.

FWIW, YMMV, etc