All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: a very useful MIDI tip
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:40 pm 

Just learned this today, the ultimate easy way to control just about everything in your song with your basic controller keyboard's 8 knobs

First, follow the instructions given in a post in the Facebook Forum called Ableton Live Producer and create a user remote script file. Its dead easy. Takes 2 minutes. You just need to know what channels your 8 knobs are on, which should be on the keyboard screen.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 0729478050

Thanks to Benito for that. You might need to join the group. to see the page.

If like me you have a basic keyboard with 8 knobs, they will now be assigned to Ableton.

Whatever instrument you want to control, click the title bar to show the blue hand

If it is an Ableton Instrument in the form of a rack, it will have 8 controls automatically mapped as macros.

Takeover mode seems better than pickup (preferences)

If you load up a VST you select 'configure', tweak the knobs you wanna control, and then map them to macros (group the instrument)

Simpler comes with 6 parameters ready mapped, you can add volume by grouping it and mapping vol to macro 1 of the new group (click the blue hand)

The beauty of all this is it is simple. You dont need automap or different channels in your synth or anything. All you need is the one setting. No midi mapping. Nothing. Just grouping and assigning macros. The only time you touch your synth is to control the parameters by turning the knobs

edit: assign the Global Channel in the script to the number in your controller LESS ONE.

EDIT: see page 4 of the thread for how to make Live think you have up to 6 controllers, when you only have one!!

Last edited by funken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: a very useful MIDI tip
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:46 pm 

Yeah, the blue hand rules. Someone famous once taught me this trick - if you have something that you don't want to have the blue hand interfering with (looper for example), you can put that in a rack without macros so the knobs and blue hand focus wont accidentally disturb it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 pm 

The hours i wasted trying to get my head around midi mapping, trying to assign the 5 presets in my keyboard etc.

This method involves none of that, no midi mapping at all. Just one setting on your keyboard, which is whatever it is already.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 pm 

hx man, i will try it tomorrow but it seems to be nice :D

Music Theory Template

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am 

I'm telling you, this has revolutionised my life. It might not be necessary for people with fancy controllers with automap, I dunno, but with my synth this is a godsend.

I hardly used to use it cos the midi mapping was a nightmare. Was hardly worth the bother. All you do is change 8 values in a text file, and your life changes forever.

In fact I learned some more. If you have Massive you can control all the macros in 5 seconds, and group it to create more controls. With other vsts you can control at least 16 parameters immediately. Here is how.

This example is 10 parameters on Minimoog

1. Load up Minimoog (or any plugin, sometimes a VST works better than an AU)

2.Click the triangle and 'configure'

3. Open the synth gui

4. Touch each control you want to manipulate

5. Close the synth.

6. Now, while still in 'configure' mode (everything will be highlighted) if you want, you can rearrange all the parameters which have appeared in the box.

7. Close 'configure'

8. click on the title bar so the blue hand shows, and you can immediately control the first 8 with the 8 knobs on your keyboard, if you have followed the instructions in the link.

9. To control the other 2, group the plugin, and map the last 2 to two macros. Click Map Mode, click the first parameter on the right, go to macro 1 and click map. And so on. To control these 2 click the title bar so the blue hand shows. To flick from one to the other try the left right cursors on you computer keyboard.

10. Now you have 10 parameters labelled and easily controllable. Save this rack as an instrument rack called MINIMOOG or whatever. Job done. I got a better sound out of minimoog like this in a fraction of the time, with less mouse arm ache.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm 

big thx! i tried it and it works very well :D now i can use my mpk 49 encoders easily ;D

Music Theory Template

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:02 pm 

cool! There is a thing called MIDI Dump in Live, not sure what that does, but I'm sticking with what I know works.

Its great. I am sort of refining it now. I had 10 parameters in Minimoog , but I mapped the 8 I normally use to macros, as I rarely use the attack
Just like the Ableton Presets

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 pm 

Nice post i will definitely try tmrw and will see whether it works....

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:34 pm 

cool!

BTW for Massive fans there is a video somewhere on youtube I think, showing this technique with it. Every time you change a preset, the 8 macros you have configured get automatically re-labelled. So whatever the preset, you instantly control all the main 8 parameters. You dont need to map them to macros.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:48 pm 

Would somebody be willing to copy and paste the instructions from the facebook group into the thread for those of us that don't have an account (probably just me) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 pm 

very nice one, thanks!
i just tested it with my Apogee Duet. it works wonderful, and very easy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:12 am 

msteele wrote:
Would somebody be willing to copy and paste the instructions from the facebook group into the thread for those of us that don't have an account (probably just me) :lol:

Sure-
Quote:
*Tech tip* 1

Make a few controller assignments enabling *any* controller to behave as if it were a APC40...

For quick familiarity watch this video before reading on..

note, the instructions here apply to *any* midi controller !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1As9_wf ... E&index=37

The instructions following came about using a Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard machine.

There is a file situated at 'User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 8.x/User remote scripts/UserConfiguration.txt

Copy this file to the desktop, it is your Ableton remote script that allows you to make a few controller assignments enabling *any* controller to behave as if it were a APC40, quickly picking up on any of lives devices and controlling the first 8 parameters offered instantly. Here is how to set it up.....

Open the 'user configuration.txt' file you copied to the desktop ..

You'll see a lot of old scribble.. scroll down to where it lists the 'encoders' e.g.

encoder1: -1

encoder2: -1

encoder3: -1

encoder4: -1

encoder5: -1

encoder6: -1

encoder7: -1

encoder8: -1

now match the number where it says -1 to your controller number e.g.

encoder1: 24

encoder2: 25

encoder3: 26

encoder4: 27

encoder5: 28

encoder6: 29

encoder7: 30

encoder8: 31

now save this file.

From the desktop,

make a folder and call it the same name as your controller e.g. Korg Kontrol 49 & place this userconfiguration.txt file into it.

Now place this folder into 'User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 8.x/User remote scripts.. alongside the original 'Userconfiguration.txt file.

For proper midi handshaking between your hardware & software, the name of this folder must match the name of your controller so if your not sure, open your OS midi manager and check what the OS Midi manager is calling your controller and simply copy that name to the name folder. Done.

From here open Ableton, open preferences, hit the midi sync tab

Under control surface select your controller, under input select the appropriate port & do the same for the output tab.

Under midi ports hit both the track & remote buttons to on status.

Comment.

To have this control using any midi controller that sends cc's is a real hands on programming trill for the Ableton Live producer.

The fun starts when you insert fx racks or instrument presets that are mapped to the Macro knobs.

So time to dust off the ald box with knobs & start tweaking yal.

enjoy

http://soundcloud.com/scutheotaku

I LIKE TACOS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:06 pm 

some places say you have to put the controller name into the script itself, but I never had to. The name on the folder should can be anything as far as I know, but best make it whatever the computer labels the hardware at.

Remember to go in Ableton preferences for the Midi and find your folder.

Once its working, any live device you wanna control, click the title bar so the hand shows. From then on, stuff is either automatically mapped controlled or you can map things to macros.

By the way, just let me remind people, I think this script edit is only needed if your controller isnt on the list in Live.

Last edited by funken on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:09 pm 

33tetragammon wrote:
very nice one, thanks!
i just tested it with my Apogee Duet. it works wonderful, and very easy!

I assume you have a midi controller as well then, the Duet is just an interface?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 pm 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xig2fk ... intro_tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDpSQP-7 ... E101D03C37

couple of good vids on the topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next