All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: a very useful MIDI tip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm 

First. To try working with the script that already exists you have to make sure that you are on the default preset for your hardware. That is usually 1. But documentation may show otherwise. Also, a reason why the preset may also not work is if that preset's parameters have been set to something else. To use the device you must choose the appropriate input and output from the drop down menu in Control Surfaces.

Second. They changed the folder where live's info is stored. I forget what it is actually, maybe application data or something. I have a feeling they made this change so that Live can upgrade within one version instead of creating folder after folder of updated renditions.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

Not had any problems on Live 8.3 myself. The scripts are still in the same place, User/Preferences/Ableton. They get updated automatically into the new version. I can't really suggest anything without a lot more info apart from persevere, re-read everything, make sure you check everything. It's worth it. Took me days, partly because I was figuring some stuff out, partly because getting my synth programmed seemed a bit erratic.

This is why I daren't do a full tutorial on my site, scared of missing stuff, so I refer back to the thread here.

The key things are write the scripts a per here and on my site. Make sure they are in the right place. Make sure you select them in Live's Preferences correctly. Make sure your synth is set up right. I did everything on channel 14 in Live, called it 13 on the script, and used different numbers for the 8 channels in the 5 presets, ie 40 different midi numbers for the 8 knobs.

The bit on my site is in the hardware section.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm 

yur2die4 wrote:
They changed the folder where live's info is stored.

As far as I can see the scripts are sill in User/Preferences

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:26 am 

All Right Got it to work! I even Got Punch In Effects to work too (different trick) Next Ill try this "Multiple Controller Trick" Ill be having to create a script based off of one of the preloaded scripts that come with live. Ill post my findings... Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 am 

Excellent! The multiple control surfaces should be pretty straightforward. I just copied the script several times and used different midi numbers on all the knobs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 pm 

Hey
if anyone is interested in getting the redbox like the apc40 here ya go
I used this http://modern.dj/app/
and combined with the original tip I now have a very cheap carillon 25 acting like a mini apc
its great having 8 knobs as opposed to 8 encoders which seems to be the future
so thanks ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:41 pm 

cheers elseano, will look into that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm 

Can someone please tell me where i can find that file to edit in Win XP?

edit: Is this possible at all in Live Lite? Can't find the damn thing...

edit: Alright, thanks to simmerdown, i found it: (C)/programfiles(x86)/Ableton/Live #/resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/tools

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:38 am 

Sorry, but it seems that i am too stupid to get this to work. I want my Novation Nocturn to behave like in that video in the very first post.
If someone could give me a step-by-step guide... i'd really appreciate it. :wink: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am 

You shouldn't need this thread for a Nocturn, this if for controllers that don't have Automap. I would contact Novation support.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 am 

Well I just watched that video and it seems very long winded to navigate to a device using buttons like that, just do it how I described on my website, much quicker.

http://www.macableton.com/hardware-midi ... cturn.html

Have you got Automap working?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:40 pm 

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get the faders to works as well as the 8 pots (which work fine) on my nanoKontrol2. Is there a way to do this so that the 8 faders follow on from where the 8 pots finish? It seems criminal that i can't use al these extra controls. I'm not interested in controlling live - i just want to control as many synth parameters as possible with the nano.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:02 pm 

I've never tried anything other than the 8 knobs personally.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:02 pm 

I'll gladly give €30 to anyone who can work this out. It's my experience that controllers are never ever straight forward. I've owned many over the years and somehow they never seem to let you get to the nuts and bolts fully. Like i said, midi learn is fine, but it quickly eats all your available controls up on just one synth if you want to map loads of things.
I really love how these first 8 pots are just instantly there ready to go. I just REALLY wish i could take it further and have all those faders on the nano do the same. I halso have a Novation Impulse 49 and automap just ended up being more annoying than useful, which is a shame because it's so nearly there. It just forgets what's going on too often and doesn't focus on the plug you want. Again, even with this Impulse, they Navation only allow you to use the 8 pots....WTF?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 pm 

sounds like you want an APC40 - 64 pots controllable per vst

http://www.macableton.com/hardware-midi ... apc40.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next