All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: a very useful MIDI tip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

The limit for instant mapping is 8.

Beyond that, you have to rely on 'locking' to devices, and Bank select buttons. (Which is the same as using the APC.)

Or maybe m4l.

Did you make two sets of scripts for your controller?

Oh, one last tip. If you are controlling third party vsts. You can keep a set of unassigned knobs or faders. Then, in the vst itself, map cc#s. these parameters should NOT be assigned to macros or to any fader in Ableton. You can make it the Same cc#s for the same parameters for several synths (Given that they let you assign them in the first place).

When you arm the track which that synth is in and 'listening' for commands, those cc#s will simply control it. The only tricky thing is that some vsts require you yo 'load' the midi assignment template. Careful though as, it will record automation in session view........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 pm 

64 pots per vst? I thought the Akai's didn't have auto sensing of stuff like that.
The nano is only €44. It's an amazing little device to be honest. I bought another piece of software for it that turns it into a pretty crazy little Live controller.
http://www.nativekontrol.com/nLII-Plus.html
I just wish i could create a kind of auto map. It's so nearly there...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

Why would i need two sets of scripts for the controller? First time i've heard this.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm 

Yeah. I believe it is even mentioned in this thread.

Simply make one script for the knobs

One for the faders

Then you have two sets of macros.

The problem is, they are still essentially the same, you highlight one thing and they'll both control it.

But you are able to lock them to devices. Like one locked to a reverb while the other controls anything your blue hand is on. It isn't the ideal workaround. The bank select is probably closer to what you're after. In that case, you have the one script with te bank buttons.

With Operator for example:
Bank 1-4 control oscillators 1-4 of their ADSR, tune and fine, vol-velocity and level.
Banks 5-8 are like, LFO, Filter, Pitch, Global.

So with only 8 knobs and 2 buttons, you control all of that.

With 8 buttons, you can Jump to the bank you want! (All this is mentioned in the user remote script text file).

As a lovely bonus, Live clues you in on the bottom of the screen what bank you are on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am 

I didn't really understand most of that tbh yur2, mind you it's midnight and I'm tired, but my knowledge stops at the 8 knobs. I'll have another read tomorrow. However you did give me an idea to extend what I said early on in the thread about using 16 parameters. Originally I was swapping from the rack to the other 8 configured parameters in the device, with the arrow keys. But a better way might be to lock the device itself (with the extra 8 parameters) to a second script, the rack locked to the first obviously. It works. You have to swap presets on the keyboard obviously, but it means you don't have to be focussed on the device or the rack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 am 

After much gnashing of teeth i decided to just give in to the fact that i'm not going to be able to use my faders to control the synths (outside of midi learn). They seem hardwired to control live's mixer or nothing at all. I just don't get that. I can see perfectly well that they are outputting normal controller data. I don't know enough about the technical side of it all though tbh. It's frustrating to have this little nanokontroller BURSTING with controls but i can only use the 8 pots, like i said, outside of midi learn.
I spent an hour working out 16 pot setups for Diva, Massive, FM8, MorphoX and the TAL synths - i'm ok with those on tap now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 pm 

Hmm...

I can't get it to work.

I have a Access Virus KC. I created a script like they said, put the correct values into the file, saved it.

- Live now has Virus as a control surface.
- I can make the Blue Hand appear by right clicking on a rack and checking Lock to control surface 1
- I can assign the correct virus knobs to different Macros

But I have to re-assign them every time I start new set.
It does not remember that a particular knob controls, say Macro 1.

Am I missing something? I understood that this method allows me to sign 8 macros so that they would always control particular macro knobs on a particular rack in my instrument library. Is that wrong?

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm 

quiet_ou wrote:
Hmm...

I can't get it to work.

I have a Access Virus KC. I created a script like they said, put the correct values into the file, saved it.

- Live now has Virus as a control surface.
- I can make the Blue Hand appear by right clicking on a rack and checking Lock to control surface 1
- I can assign the correct virus knobs to different Macros

Are you using the virus as a midi controller? If so, it should automatically control the 8 macros in an instrument rack. What do you mean by 'assign'? There is no assigning to do in Live. Not even once.

quiet_ou wrote:
But I have to re-assign them every time I start new set.
It does not remember that a particular knob controls, say Macro 1.

Am I missing something? I understood that this method allows me to sign 8 macros so that they would always control particular macro knobs on a particular rack in my instrument library. Is that wrong?

If you do it right it is automatic, your 8 knobs on the virus should automatically control the 8 macros on a rack. You should not have to assign them in the first place. That is done in the script. You need to check through the instructions on here and on macableton.com ( http://www.macableton.com/hardware-midi ... ripts.html). Make sure you have the global channel in the script is one less than the global channel in the controller. Make sure the 8 encoders are what the controller is assigned to or vice versa.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

funken wrote:
. Make sure you have the global channel in the script is one less than the global channel in the controller. .

Is this referring to the MIDI IN channel on Live? The Virus sends to Channel 1 . The script says Channel 0 so it is one less.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 pm 

It has to be one less than the global channel that is set in the controller, which you can set to whatever you want. You need to be able to set the global channel and the 8 midi knobs' midi numbers in the Virus. See the tutorial on my website. I have 5 scripts for my keyboard, each using different numbers for the 8 knobs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm 

You say you have 5 scripts - where do you put those, in 5 different folders? Or do you name them differently and put them all in the same folder as your UserConfiguration file?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 am 

SO when using hardware synths (not controllers with previous scripts), how do you name the folder?

Quote:
For proper midi handshaking between your hardware & software, the name of this folder must match the name of your controller so if your not sure, open your OS midi manager and check what the OS Midi manager is calling your controller and simply copy that name to the name folder. Done.

So, I use the name of my MIDI port on myu interface? In my case Fireface UC MIDI 1?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 am 

silicon1138 wrote:
You say you have 5 scripts - where do you put those, in 5 different folders? Or do you name them differently and put them all in the same folder as your UserConfiguration file?

It's detailed in the thread on page 4, plus the tutorial on my site:

viewtopic.php?p=1315652#p1315652

and

http://www.macableton.com/hardware-midi ... ripts.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 am 

login wrote:
SO when using hardware synths (not controllers with previous scripts), how do you name the folder?

Quote:
For proper midi handshaking between your hardware & software, the name of this folder must match the name of your controller so if your not sure, open your OS midi manager and check what the OS Midi manager is calling your controller and simply copy that name to the name folder. Done.

So, I use the name of my MIDI port on myu interface? In my case Fireface UC MIDI 1?

I think I did it without having to match the name.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:07 am 

funken wrote:
login wrote:

Quote:

I think I did it without having to match the name.

Yeah, I tried naming it Nordlead3 and then just configured Input to the interface midi input.

works great so far in Live 9

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next