Processing Drums - Tips and Tricks

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
2beats

Processing Drums - Tips and Tricks

Post by 2beats » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 am

Here is an article I wrote for my website, http://subaqueousmusic.com/production-articles It is on processing drums and getting a good drum mix.

Drum Effects that Smash it.

I have been learning a lot about how to master drums to get a really unique sound and have it glued together really well. In this article I will share some tips and tricks for mastering and making great drums.

Modulation is Key

To start lets talk about the failing point of a lot of electronic music. That is the lack of humanization and groove. a 4/4 beat with everything on the grid gets really repetitive. To add a realistic point and a more engaging sound you should modulate your drums. This can be achieved by having some notes, like high hats, hit louder and softer at points to create motion. Also having the rythm change up once an while is really import as well. A simple thing like a fill goes a long way.

Some tips to create this modulation can be to also add a little LFO that comes and goes on an element or a subtle phaser to make it sound like the tone is changing a little.

Also having more then one sample to go back and forth from helps a lot as well.

Put a Verb on it!

If you are using sample hits or a drum kit to make your groove it is really important to use a good verb on the final drum channel. This will help glue the sounds together and make them sound like they were recorded in the same room. I use SIR Reverb for this. I generally use the drum room or a wooden room sound.

Compress it and Crunch it

The last step I take in my drum channel is a nice compression. Or sometimes a bad compression. You can really make your drums glue together by adding a little grit. Best program I have seen out there is Izotope Trash. You have to buy it, but it is a really solid and nice VST.

A good free alternative that adds some nice crunch is Sumo. It can also be used to color other things like bass to give a good crush.

Another amazing tool is by Brainworx. There Boom Box plug in is a really simple way to add a nice crunch to your kick.

If you are building your own grooves for electronic music then following these simple steps will go a long way. Modulate it, verb it, and crush it. This will give you a realistic and fitting drum mix.

If you have any tips or tricks share them below.

Thanks everyone,
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous

wehkah

Re: Processing Drums - Tips and Tricks

Post by wehkah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

Dont forget drum layering ;)
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm

izotope trash? whos the einstein that came up with that name?
lol

im gonna make a delay plugin called herpes reoccurrence. it will "flare up" every 16th note

good article btw

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm

"Trash" is a distortion effect...
Last edited by simpli.cissimus on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm

No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

2beats

Post by 2beats » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Your right about drum layering.

This was more about how to give the drums there final mix and "glue" them together.

In terms of layering what I do is I pick 2 to 3 samples that have a sound quality I am looking for. Example would be a kick. I take a sub kick and eq it for about 80 to 30hz. I then layer a good kick with an attack and highpass around 100 because there is some cross over.

My sound a theme as Subaqueous is obviously water themed. SO the last layer will be a splash, or bubbles or something. I will keep this a high accent sometimes.

Something to Keep in mind is Phase shifting in doing this! By Eqing you take care of a lot of this, but if the sounds you pick are pushing and pulling off from each other (phase) then it will just sound week. You can fix this by slightly moving one of the samples and you might find a more powerful hit.

Thanks Everyone for enjoying the article. More can be found at http://subaqueousmusic.com/production-articles

2beats

Post by 2beats » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Oh and the Free VST Sumo can be found here:

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/sumo.htm

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

I never really liked Sumo, I find I can get better results with Saturator and some bit crushing (TAL or the Live native one). Although I do love the GUI for sumo :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

2beats

Post by 2beats » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Cezband wrote:I never really liked Sumo, I find I can get better results with Saturator and some bit crushing (TAL or the Live native one). Although I do love the GUI for sumo :)
Got any tips or settings you like?

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Good tips I would love to improve my drums take a listen to this beats are very strong kick is heavy
Maybe it's more about mastering ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUTejbYjsQ
Last edited by leighbeynon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPB

2beats

Post by 2beats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 am

leighbeynon wrote:Good tips I would love to improve my drums take a listen to this beats are very strong kick is heavy
Maybe it's more about mastering ?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dVUTejbYjsQ
That doesn't go any where.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:36 pm

sorry damn ipod touch !! try the new link ive edited my post
LPB

2beats

Post by 2beats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Really like the shaker. Well done there. Your use of percussion is good. All the other sounds and additive stuff is great. The snare hit sounds a little empty and I prefer a little more kick, but those are all preferences. The track doesn't demand high drums. It's a chill vibe for sure.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:18 am

does anyone use the drum presets in the audio effects rack section?

charas100

Post by charas100 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 am

Nice tips