Complextro..Electro House.. Or whatever you want to call it.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bbart318

Complextro..Electro House.. Or whatever you want to call it.

Post by bbart318 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:24 am

What are some techniques do you guys use creating such intricate music?

Do you follow a general pattern?

Similar artists with such sounds are..
Wolfgang Gartner
Porter Robinson
Zedd
Mord Fustang

Throwing Madeon in the list although he incorporates French house elements into his tracks too.

bbart318

Re: Complextro..Electro House.. Or whatever you want to call it.

Post by bbart318 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Bump, would love to hear more on this topic!

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:13 am

there are millions of ways to create "intricate" music. most of it deals with years and years of experience of making music, and it also can rely heavily on what hardware/software people have.

take for instance, the korg m3 keyboard with karma. people can create very very intricate music with the karma engine. it works great with DAWS by sending out SysEx messages (which ableton doesn't support at this time) but what i do is send it through logic studio and export it to ableton. once i have an intriciate midi loop setup, i might slice to drum rack, and assign it to some pads or keys and further complicate the intricacy

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:05 am

It's a time consuming process but very very fun. IMO
The way I do it involves creating synth patches and playing a melody. Then I usually draw all kinds of crazt automation on the clip. I then Re-Sample and place various effects after the audio. Then, I slice to MIDI and I either end up w/ something fucking awesome or something totally un-usable. Usually the former. I then "play a part (lead, bass, etc.) using these slices. After I'm satisfied I resample to audio.

When making bass-lines I typically use 5-9 tracks. I use the above method among others' and just build it up piece by piece. It's like a puzzle. Fitting all the little pieces together.

bbart318

Post by bbart318 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:19 am

The music seems to be getting very popular

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 am

Thats cuz its so awesome!!!! Everything else sounds kinda boring after hearing it.
But, it cannot be unheard

thatMcFlyGuy

Post by thatMcFlyGuy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 am

Sunsetter wrote:...
This.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 am

thatMcFlyGuy wrote:
Sunsetter wrote:...
This.
:D

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

^ Dig the set.

Wolfgang Gartner is sick. Check out the dirty hi hats on Illmerica. Groovy and playful stuff, thanks for the heads up.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Also, I wonder if this style has some duplicating of synth lines with different sounds & effects.

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:00 pm

anybody human wrote:Also, I wonder if this style has some duplicating of synth lines with different sounds & effects.
and also some of those dup tracks have arps, delays, and some dont

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Thats cuz its so awesome!!!! Everything else sounds kinda boring after hearing it.
Hmmm. Matter of opinion. Educate me. If what I've heard of 'complextro' is truly representative, this doesn't hold much truth... But please, bring it on, I'm very open minded.........
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 pm

ollyb303 wrote:
Sunsetter wrote:Thats cuz its so awesome!!!! Everything else sounds kinda boring after hearing it.
Hmmm. Matter of opinion. Educate me. If what I've heard of 'complextro' is truly representative, this doesn't hold much truth... But please, bring it on, I'm very open minded.........

You're absolutely correct. This is just my opinion, so, for me, it's true. I think one would be hard-pressed to deny the skill involved in creating some of this "complextro" music. Just for the record, I'm not a fan of all these labels and seemingly end-less categories of genres and sub-genres but apparently "complextro" is what they are calling this stuff.

I have been experimenting and attempting some "complextro" productions myself and honestly, the process does get a bit complex. That said, it's fun as hell! I find myself adding more and more channels to the track for more bass-lines. Actually, "bass-lines" may not be a good term for what I'm making. It's all in key but one bass-line consists of 6-20 channels of different sounds w/ different effects and different automations, etc. One may just be a one-shot stab of a low-pass filtered mid-range bass sound, while another could be higher pitched siren-like noise pitched up, while another is a half-bar stuttered vocal. You get the idea. It's like creating your own puzzle pieces and then building the puzzle. It's complex but lot's of fun. IDK, I think it's good practice and I've learned so many production techniques while experimenting w/ this style.

Any who, here's a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVT07FoqmlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxIisWf ... E4AFAEA482

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfxlNfW5 ... E4AFAEA482

1nfinitezer0

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:29 pm

mr bill and tom cosm have some glitch tutorials on youtube, the methods are the same.
automate, mangle, resample, slice, arrange repeat
and then super compress ~; )

giankid

Post by giankid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 am

You should make a nice chord progression/melody which you'll play with the main synth lead and continue to make that melody but by switching from instruments like as if this instrument plays this note in the melody and this other note in the melody will be played with another instrument and do the whole melody like that but with the synth lead on top of everything. Hope this helps!!

EDIT: U should also do it with lots of samples. stuf like one of the instruments being a bass guitar sample and vocal cuts together with sounds U've created. BYEEEE!!!!