Slide to Midi - Sampling

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
ATC28

Slide to Midi - Sampling

Post by ATC28 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Alright, I'm assuming someone has run into this before in arranegement view but here's the issue I am running into that is kinda pissing me off and is probably quite simple to resolve.

Steps:

1. drop audio file (in this case a sample im using to trigger on MPD32) into arrangement view

2. warp/time stretch parts I want

3. slide to midi (used SKIPRESET)

4. Now, I have 2 tracks ; 1. original audio and 2. midi track with sliced samples

5. So, now I record a sequence with the MPD32 and samples on pads

6. Now I have overdub button on, however, when playback or loop the original sequence and try to play over it by triggering the pads -- when I hit the pad it cutsoff what I have recorded when its playing back - does that make sense? Even with the recorded track not highlighted or in record mode, and I highlight another track it doesnt work. Obviosuly because the track with the actual midi clip has all of the sounds so if I dont highlight that track I cant play those samples.

Essentially, the issue I'm having is while playing back what I recorded from triggered samples on MPD and then trying to play over them to see what I might want to add to the sequence, the pads I am triggering cutoff the recorded sequence I am playing back.

Anyway, the preset I used for slice to midi didnt slice into a drum rack, its a preset I got on ableton site from Ski producer and wondering if people normally slide to midi and then take those individual slices from arranagement view and drop them into a drum rack?? sorry for this being too long, hopefully someone knows what im talking about and can help.,,haha

ATC28

Re: Slide to Midi - Sampling

Post by ATC28 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:55 am

come on replies? someone had to have run into this when using MPD32 or controller in general.

thatMcFlyGuy

Re: Slide to Midi - Sampling

Post by thatMcFlyGuy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I believe it has to do with the slicing preset.

I remember watching a video explaining how to make a slicing preset similar to what I think you're talking about. It's like a mono instrument right? As you you can only trigger one slice at a time and the next slice cuts off the one before it.

Try a different one then the one you're using?