Keeping note's on your sets.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hybridjosto

Re: Keeping note's on your sets.

Post by hybridjosto » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

cool will try later.
My production blog - http://transports.tumblr.com

nordmach

Post by nordmach » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:23 pm

friend_kami wrote:
nordmach wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this in LIVE 8?
its the same thing.
Did you mean to say that it works the same as above or it doesn't really work....?
Mac Intel Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33 Ghz, 3GB ram-OSX 10.6.6
Live version: Live 8

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:59 pm

nordmach wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
nordmach wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this in LIVE 8?
its the same thing.
Did you mean to say that it works the same as above or it doesn't really work....?
same as above.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 am

Hight in here.

Thanks for the tip!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Awesome tip! It's really helpful to have a list of all my controller settings for each piece of gear (with the pic of the gear as headers!)

The cherry on top would be if this could be done for the Default Template. The problem is that every time Live loads it creates a new timestamped directory with the "new" Template.als in it, and unfortunately it's temporary; it's only there until you close Live:/

How can this be overcome?
ImageImage

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm

shadx312 wrote:How can this be overcome?
One way is if Ableton (and every other dev) would just add a simple textbox control the their interface that would allow users to keep project specific notes. Or any notes. And let that file be saved separate from the project file, for easy access. It is one of those things that is butt simple to implement yet almost no host has it built in. I can't believe the addition of such a feature would require that much coding at all. If they could implement the info window at the lower left they could surely implement a text window somewhere. Its sad that such a simple feature has been missing from most hosts for soooo long. Engineers have been scribbling on little pieces of tape attached to mixing desks for ages. Why this feature is omitted from so many daws has always remained a mystery to me.

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 pm

UncleAge wrote:
One way is if Ableton (and every other dev) would just add a simple textbox control the their interface that would allow users to keep project specific notes. Or any notes. And let that file be saved separate from the project file, for easy access. It is one of those things that is butt simple to implement yet almost no host has it built in. I can't believe the addition of such a feature would require that much coding at all. If they could implement the info window at the lower left they could surely implement a text window somewhere. Its sad that such a simple feature has been missing from most hosts for soooo long. Engineers have been scribbling on little pieces of tape attached to mixing desks for ages. Why this feature is omitted from so many daws has always remained a mystery to me.
There is already a text box in Live 8.

Right click on most items on the screen and you will see a "enter info text". There is NO keyboard shortcut however (bummer) but it WILL let you write notes on the box located on the bottom left corner of the screen. I'm not 100% sure when it was introduced but I don't I've been using it to write notes for a while now.

-- Juan

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 pm

juanlittledevil wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
There is already a text box in Live 8.

Right click on most items on the screen and you will see a "enter info text". There is NO keyboard shortcut however (bummer) but it WILL let you write notes on the box located on the bottom left corner of the screen. I'm not 100% sure when it was introduced but I don't I've been using it to write notes for a while now.

-- Juan
Wow! Thanks. I never knew this was there. I guess that's what I get for not reading the manual as of late :oops:

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:57 pm

The only thing which bugs me about the info text box is: that it's not actually tied in with markers, which come on? notes on markers who'd what that! (it's only like the most important place to put notes in arrangement mode?)

(I use a combination of color, names, and notes) If something has a note I rename it with something like "Name (NOTE)" which reminds me to look at the box. ;)

Juan

-- Juan[/quote]
Wow! Thanks. I never knew this was there. I guess that's what I get for not reading the manual as of late :oops:[/quote]

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 pm

And if not that then maybe a little indicator in the corner of a clip showing there is a note attached, like in MS Excel. Well it's a start I guess.

l3xh2k

Post by l3xh2k » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:01 pm

I added a note on the master track of one of my sets. Got to the bottom of the box and no scrolling, no nothing. Clearly not suitable for "book" size notes.

Wasn't able to resize either (8.1.2 on a macbook pro, dunno if that's relevant)

I'll probably try the CovOps hack and move on.

Improvement in (text) note handling would be very welcome cause not everything makes it into my paper notebook.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, it looks like I'll be using a combination of the two solutions. The text file solution is that hard to keep up with really. It just requires a little housekeeping.

JVonD

Post by JVonD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Yeah I spent an hour trying to get this to work in 8.2.1. Not working for me.
I followed the step by step. =(
Anyone got a link for a VST that I can write track comments on please?
Thanks! ~J 8)

JVonD

Post by JVonD » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 am

I guess you can right click the track and do "edit info text".
Seems to do the trick. Not to sure why I didn't see that before.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:38 am

Its been 5 years since I wrote this, you'll find the following thread to be more up to date. This stuff was written for Live 4 or something.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1222009