Any tips on programming ride crescendos?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Nephew

Any tips on programming ride crescendos?

Post by Nephew » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm

But working on this and haven't been able to get it to sound 'right' and 'natural'. Would I be better off looking for samples? Any suggestions are appreciated!

michaellpenman

Re: Any tips on programming ride crescendos?

Post by michaellpenman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Nephew wrote:But working on this and haven't been able to get it to sound 'right' and 'natural'. Would I be better off looking for samples? Any suggestions are appreciated!

can you give some examples?

what i think you are meaning is the old house build up....

so find a nice ride sound. program a 8 bar build
start with a ride on each beat then go to on the off beat to then 16th then 32nds then 64ths and the pull it back

in the rides sample put the velocity to 100% so that you can create a volume swell

now from the notes you have create a velocity curve from 0-127 (0 starting at the first hit and 127 at the last hit.)

a other nice way to achieve this is to load the ride into the sampler and create a loop in the samplers. then decrease the loop size.
This gives you a more live feel than with programing it via midi.

well i hope that helps

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Not at all, I know what you're talking about but I'm looking to do something more jazzy if you will.

Here's a link to a sample,

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/44167758/file.html

punching_sandwiches

Post by punching_sandwiches » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

I came across loading various samples of the same ride and using an arpegiator. Or you could link an arpegiator going straight and velocity (automate the velocity so that it gets louder over the section) also add in a bit of random to the velocity for a more live feel.
If you macro it all up in a rack you could quite easily increase speed/velocity/randomness with some midi controller.

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 am

punching_sandwiches wrote:I came across loading various samples of the same ride and using an arpegiator. Or you could link an arpegiator going straight and velocity (automate the velocity so that it gets louder over the section) also add in a bit of random to the velocity for a more live feel.
If you macro it all up in a rack you could quite easily increase speed/velocity/randomness with some midi controller.
Like your thinking, never worked an arp before but now's a good a time as any I guess!