Switching synth patches quickly using MPK25

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Hull

Switching synth patches quickly using MPK25

Post by Hull » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:15 am

Hello,

I'm using an APC40 with my live shows and only have one track available for synth leads. I like to use an MPK25 just for synth leads as I think it gives a nice connection to a strong synth lead.

I switch between Analog, Operator and several Puremagnetik synths over the course of a live set and I was thinking it would be great to be able to switch between synth patches just using the MPK25.

I've used simpler to have several patches available and use the K1 through K12 knobs to raise or lower the volume on each, which works ok but seems a bit awkward.

I tried to use the S1 - S4 buttons to select, but they just turn the patch on and off quickly. Not sure how to modify that.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience switching through different synth patches in the same track using this controller?

Thanks!

T
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

thatMcFlyGuy

Re: Switching synth patches quickly using MPK25

Post by thatMcFlyGuy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:18 am

Get familiar with instrument racks.

When you drop an instrument rack on a track you will see three show/hide view options directly under the power button. The second one of these is the chain list. Once enabled, a box appears to the right of the macro controls that says "drop midi effects audio effects instruments or samples here". This is where you (ta da!) drop your instruments. All four or five or however many (up to 128). Now, above this list of instruments there are a couple of options. Click the chain option and yet another (and rather long) 'graph' if you will appears to the right of your chain list. You'll notice little blue bars on the left side of the chart next to each instrument in your list. Drag the last instrument's bar all the way to 127 (the end) of the chart to the right. Right click and select "distribute ranges equally" and now all the blue bars have expanded to fill the chart, but none overlapping.

OK almost there :D

Above these blue bars there is a little orange marker all the way to the left at zero that you can drag around. THIS IS THE MONEY. That orange marker is the chain selector which can be MIDI mapped to you're controller.

As far as patches for each instrument, program changes for vsts would be the most efficient for your computer but I'm not sure if ableton synths are capable of receiving/responding to program changes. But I'm sorta thinking you'd be better off just having multiple instances of the ableton synths in the chain to select from.

It seems complicated, but it's pretty simple once you get it :wink:

Hull

Post by Hull » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 am

Awesome solution. It works great! Thanks for the tutorial, very clear and helpful.
Hull
Dymaxion Groove Records
http://dymaxion.fm

zgriblea

Post by zgriblea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Hello, I was kindly directed here from my initial post which is pretty much related to this. I've followed the instructions and they're great, but I got stuck after the orange bar thingy. How do I map that to my keyboard? I am using an AKAI MPK49.

Could you please help? Thanks in advance!