Song Map tool for better trackwriting!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SinisterMinister

Song Map tool for better trackwriting!

Post by SinisterMinister » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 am

Hi guys,

I made a Youtube tutorial for a song map and arrangement tool that I created. I wanted to give people something that helps their trackwriting. I believe planning and having a vision of the track before starting can go a long way! I don't know how many times I've suffered from 'loopitis' - ya know that disease that makes you make tons of loops rather than finishing tracks! :mrgreen:

Make better tracks! Use this simple song map tool to create & learn...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCfq2-OPrSw

The Song map tool file is simply an arrangement view jpeg ready for printout. Download for free here....
http://www.mediafire.com/?dc6j25p0ctpw536

Shine,

Sinjun
Pump up the JAM

salatspinatra

Re: Song Map tool for better trackwriting!

Post by salatspinatra » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:57 pm

I really like this. Much better than empirically telling people "the build up goes here" "the breakdown goes here" "it needs to be THIS amount of time. " Alternatively you could use colors in session mode as your arrangement shorthand-not for "all synths in my sets are red" but rather to denote, "build-up", "filter sweep", etc etc. Heck, both your chart AND Live already look like a spreadsheet. Might as well leverage the view to the best of your ability.

That little triangle is new to me; its a good paradigm. Maybe instead of creating a short hand for crescendos/build-ups, other squiggles and what not in the Map Tool, the triangle could be copied small enough to fit repeatedly, say under every 16 bars. Then you could place a point in the triangle to denote where in that relation you want the song at any point in time (transitions: maybe a point more towards "tension" than "release", Intro: a point leaning towards "simple" for example).

SinisterMinister

Re: Song Map tool for better trackwriting!

Post by SinisterMinister » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Yes, you can definitely use arrangement view. But it you have a printout you can also draw it by hand, take it with you on the train/work/park without any batteries lol

The triangle was in there on my original design for myself- as I am obsessed with triangles. I left it in anyways though :mrgreen:
Pump up the JAM