How to Combine several Live sets in One Arrangement.

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
ikeaboy

How to Combine several Live sets in One Arrangement.

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 pm

This isn't going to be a new discovery hidden in a secret menu, this is merely the technique i use at the moment. There of course are many ways to do this, I'm merely offering my solution in the hope someone finds it usefull and to make up for the poor jokes i stick up here when I'm stoned. :cry:

(numbers of tracks etc are down to personal requirements, my choices reflect my taste's in techno and electro. I'll be using no midi in the live Live set, again a personal choice).

1. Create a new live set with seven audio tracks.
2. Name them suitably. ie. (1) Lead, (2) Bass, (3) Strings, (4) Loop1, (5) Loop2, (6) Drum2, (7) MainDrum.
3. Save it
4. Open first Live set to be included, in arrangement view.
5. Create seven audio tracks beneath your arrangement, set to "Resample" and Mute them.
6. Mute all of yours Songs tracks except the Lead sound and any effect sends it uses.
7. Hit the record standby on the first of the seven audio tracks.
8. I wont be using Rendering as I don't trust it. If you are going to use it don't Normalise it, you'll see why.
9. Moving through the song Record each different section of the lead sound keeping the arrangment the same only duplicated as Audio with effects. This could mean a file the length of your song if you've included an evolving sound or it could mean re-recording a short loop as a short loop.
10. Whatever you do keep the basic arrangement on your newly recorded track.
11. Repeat for the rest of the song, bouncing it down into seven catagories. You should now have an all audio version of the song, in those seven tracks, that contains all effects and will play back perfectly mixed providing the channel faders are set to zero. :)
12. Make sure that Your seven tracks are stacked the same as your live set. This is so when we copy them across to the live Live set they'll correspond to the tracks there.
13. Copy all the info on these seven tracks at once (carefully now).
14. Open the live Live set and paste them in.
15 Repeat for your next song.

At the end of this you should have your required songs lined up one after the other, each maintaining it's individual mix and effects although you can screw with the mix safe in the knowledge that if all faders are at zero it will be mixed the way you want it.

Your then free to decide on your transitions, you can "Capture and Insert Scenes", include performance effects, whatever!

This takes me about 40minutes to compile each Song. Suggestions on how i can speed this shizzel up would be most welcome 8)

nexus-6

Post by nexus-6 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:04 pm

hi wow just what i needed,thanx
im about to start a project where i will mix my tracks together,so its like a "dj-mix/one long track,so this is very useful to me thanx again,i will try it soon
Nexus-6,Nexus-6-project

Machinate

Re: How to Combine several Live sets in One Arrangement.

Post by Machinate » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi Ikeaboy! Nice tutorial, and a good quasi-templatey setup for converting to audio.
ikeaboy wrote: 8. I wont be using Rendering as I don't trust it.
This takes me about 40minutes to compile each Song. Suggestions on how i can speed this shizzel up would be most welcome 8)
You could start trusting Rendering! 8O This would reduce the conversion time quite drastically... it's just: Solo track 1, render, solo track 2 render... of course with solo in place turned on.

Andreas

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:15 pm

Cheers,
I don't know what it is but rendering gives me the heebie geebies anyhow i've some outboard witch records nice on little and long loops, a cheap lexicon Mpx100 that has a chamber that ends up on all my tracks.

proteron

Post by proteron » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:11 am

what is your reason for not trusting rendering?
--
chris (proteron)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:37 am

believe it or not but it's comments on these forums. Im most likely wrong but doing something quicker seems to me to be when error could creep in. Plus i would audition what i was recording anyway so why not record it then?

I'm very willing to change my mind on this one thou as its pure hersay that rendering loses quality. And by even mentioning that I'm perpetuating what in all likelyhood isn't true

sgingras

Post by sgingras » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:10 am

if you render you avoid the possibility of dropouts and cpu problems.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:50 pm

True but i usually keep myself in a safe enough zone of CPU usage

marsh

Re: How to Combine several Live sets in One Arrangement.

Post by marsh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:28 pm

ikeaboy wrote: At the end of this you should have your required songs lined up one after the other, each maintaining it's individual mix and effects although you can screw with the mix safe in the knowledge that if all faders are at zero it will be mixed the way you want it.

Your then free to decide on your transitions, you can "Capture and Insert Scenes", include performance effects, whatever!
Champion! - thanks heaps! :D
Live Suite 10.0.2 | MS Surface Book i7/16/500 | Windows 10 | Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK | Mackie HR824 MKII