Live's remote scripting Python API

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tubbo

Live's remote scripting Python API

Post by tubbo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 am

Hi, I'm a Python developer who's VERY interested in Ableton's remote scripts functionality. How would I find out more information like documentation or perhaps write-ups of Ableton's proprietary Python interpreter? I've heard that it omits a lot of the Python standard library, and I was hoping there was some central location to find out about this kind of stuff so I won't have to reverse engineer the scripts I've been given.

mothergarage

Re: Live's remote scripting Python API

Post by mothergarage » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 am

Hanz Petrov's site is probably the best starting point.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

marra

Post by marra » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

is there anything similar for ruby

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

EricBuist

Post by EricBuist » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm also interested in an API that would control Live, but something official, documented, that has chances to persist across present and future versions of Live. It could be a COM API, some SDK in C/C++, no matter, given it is not something that was hacked/reversed engineered/partially documented. The GUI of Live is almost unusable for me because too complex and fonts are too small, standard keyboard shortcuts in Live are insufficient (e.g., can only start/stop whole session, not clips, no way to mute/slow/toggle tracks, configure I/Os, etc.) and reassignment works only by project, while this would need to be profiled-based. Push and APC controllers are great but take too much space. I could imagine some software tool could interact with Live using the same API as Push and APC while offering a GUI with bigger icons/fonts. This is probably a too large undertaking, probably will not work in the end, but I would like to explore and investigate if it is at all possible.

neux

Post by neux » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Guys how far did you get into the interpreter works? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=234953
https://musicascode.com - Slack and Discord channels on Ableton Midi Scripts (python)