Moving from Studio to Live - Organising my session view...

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
benjamingordon

Moving from Studio to Live - Organising my session view...

Post by benjamingordon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi everyone.

Ive written lots of songs and been doing lots of remixes and now its time for me to perform them live.

Ive began by exporting all my loops from logic and laying them out in scenes in ableton, according to each section of the song.

I needed some structure and organisation so i said that i would place clips based on these categories:

Kicks/Snares/Perc/Bass/Synths/Chords/Noises/Vocals

This was so i could have 8 groups with the according sounds in each, which would allow me to mute and solo each 'section' in and out.

At the moment my session is looking messy and I'm using iPads to control it with Lemur and TouchAble.

There are many gaps in-between each track and scene and when using an iPad, things look messy and take longer to navigate.

Does anyone have any feedback on how they organise many parts and many songs so the clips are easy to find and the session is easy to navigate?

Here is a picture of my session view as it is - http://cl.ly/3C17223k2g0B1y063G21

Cheers

aradder

Re: Moving from Studio to Live - Organising my session view...

Post by aradder » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30 am

I'm not sure what you've done here. You say you put everything into 8 tracks but it looks like you have many, many more tracks than that. What you want to do is have each song be a series of scenes ALL using the same 8 tracks. This way you can see everything all the time, and you can easily segue / mash up your songs by playing the beat for one and the melody from another, for example.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:25 am

I agree but the way i want to work is to sometimes slowly build and deconstruct and other times just play the tracks, with a little bit of messing around.

If i had only 8 tracks with everything on them, i wouldn't have enough control... so...

i group tracks based on sounds eg. kick/snare/chords/synths/bass etc etc and i have mute/solo buttons for those 8 groups so i can technically do that, but with more control.

what I'm finding is that i sometimes need that to play, and that to stop, but that clip is on the same track so i can't play them both.... which is why I'm asking this question... for people who want more control over their songs, not just 8 clips, how do all suggest organising?

I'm thinking of creating loads and loads of tracks and just have each part on a different track, which would mean being able to play anything with anything.

do you see where I'm going?

Manik

Post by Manik » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:42 am

i would start really simple strip down the set to 4/8 tracks..
you can really lose your self in such a big set :) . especially when there are tracks in groups