kick, snare and sub mix

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
RoCi

kick, snare and sub mix

Post by RoCi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:10 pm

check this song im working on, give me some feedback on the mix and construction of the track.

http://soundcloud.com/roci-1/554-1

2be

Re: kick, snare and sub mix

Post by 2be » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm

I think the kick/snare lacks some punch for that genre, the bassline just drowns it. Maybe some more processing on the drums and/or sidechain compression on the bassline?

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:27 pm

2be wrote:I think the kick/snare lacks some punch for that genre, the bassline just drowns it. Maybe some more processing on the drums and/or sidechain compression on the bassline?
it is sidechain, double powered actually. what kind of speakers did you listen to it through?

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 pm

to me the bass and kick/snare don't seem to gel.
you should try bussing the bass stuff together. and the drums together to help gel the mix

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:16 pm

what is a double powered sidechain? Try switching the actual sample you are using. More times than not another one will fit right in.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

dday

Post by dday » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd agree, kick needs more balls. Take the compression off .try using the 8 eq and go through your frequencies on each sample. Get that mid-low frequency notched up.

you could start around here: 240 Hz - 7.13 dB

^^ JUST a piece of advice. You can work the rest out after you get a proper thump in your kick for this track.

my 2 cents and I hope you find some use of it.

cheers

dday

Post by dday » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:12 pm

I forgot to add:

Use compression after eq'ing ( if needed ) but use it gently. Over compression is very obvious.

Z3NO

Post by Z3NO » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 am

2be wrote:Maybe some more processing on the drums and/or sidechain compression on the bassline?
Hah. All I can hear of the song is the sidechain... any more of it, and there won't be much else left.

@OP It sounds like there's frequencies overlapping in all directions and each sound doesn't leave any space to another. I don't think EQ, processing or any other 'tricks' are gonna do you much good here.
I would take another look at your arrangement and leave some room for each sound to breathe (in other words: rewrite your song :wink: )

Sorry, I'm not much help am I?

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Z3NO wrote:
2be wrote:Maybe some more processing on the drums and/or sidechain compression on the bassline?
Hah. All I can hear of the song is the sidechain... any more of it, and there won't be much else left.

@OP It sounds like there's frequencies overlapping in all directions and each sound doesn't leave any space to another. I don't think EQ, processing or any other 'tricks' are gonna do you much good here.
I would take another look at your arrangement and leave some room for each sound to breathe (in other words: rewrite your song :wink: )

Sorry, I'm not much help am I?

it was actually levels and eq its been fixed. thanks fto all on the help!

toeman

Post by toeman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

nothing wrong with the kicks and snares if you ask me.

However the bassy wave is overpowered....That is, it dominates the whole sound too much.
And the hi hats/cymbals are a tad too loud.
Try to master your song a bit more and make sure no sound gets past any threshold.

Apart from that, pretty decent stuff.

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm

toeman wrote:nothing wrong with the kicks and snares if you ask me.

However the bassy wave is overpowered....That is, it dominates the whole sound too much.
And the hi hats/cymbals are a tad too loud.
Try to master your song a bit more and make sure no sound gets past any threshold.

Apart from that, pretty decent stuff.
thanks yeah it wasnt the kick and snare youre right, i set the sub level down and eqed the synth line that followed the sub and its sounds WAAAAY better now. and i dont master my own tracks lol this one isnt mastered.