How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
marra
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm

How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by marra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:21 am

Hey!

Any tips on how to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog?

It's not in the library. Really dig the sound.

Peace!!

psylolis
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by psylolis » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

+1
I also want to reproduce that example ...

m.o
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by m.o » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 am

Generally for pads/synth-string I guess you'll want to:
At least 2 or 3 oscilators (I think I use sawtooth), one of which is tuned an octave higher, also detune the oscs with fine tune so they are a few cents (just a little) out of tune w. each others.
It's the interaction between the almost in tune oscilators that create the pulsing sound.

Low pass filter with cutoff frequency controlled with slow attack (in the ADSR), you can also mod it by key velocity.
It's the filter opening that creates the 'sharper' sound at the middle.

Add some slight LFO modulation to diffrent parameters.

marra
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by marra » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:04 am

m.o wrote:Generally for pads/synth-string I guess you'll want to:
At least 2 or 3 oscilators (I think I use sawtooth), one of which is tuned an octave higher, also detune the oscs with fine tune so they are a few cents (just a little) out of tune w. each others.
It's the interaction between the almost in tune oscilators that create the pulsing sound.

Low pass filter with cutoff frequency controlled with slow attack (in the ADSR), you can also mod it by key velocity.
It's the filter opening that creates the 'sharper' sound at the middle.

Add some slight LFO modulation to diffrent parameters.
Thanks man but it didnt work..

JMFOne
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by JMFOne » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 pm

M.O is right. Its just a few sawtooth osc played together. You need 1 osc playing the low, mid and high. Low pass over the whole lot. Try assigning mod wheel to filter cutoff. Typical pad settings in the volume Env ADSR menu. Have a play and you will get that sound on anything.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

marra
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by marra » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks guys, but I just can't wrap my head around it. Basically I:

1. Loaded Analog
2. Set octave to -2 in Osc1
3. Enabled Osc2
4. Set Fil1 and Fil2 to LP12 (Freq: 6.0k)

I did not manage to assign mod wheel to filter cutoff, or to add typical pad settings in the volume Env ADSR menu.

The result is nowhere near what I was hoping for (I hope the leads don't interfere):

http://home.no/reddvinylene/warm_pad_attempt1.mp3
http://home.no/reddvinylene/warm_pad_attempt1.adv

Any idea what I gotta do next?

r_v
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by r_v » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

I had a go at recreating this. It's not really spot on, but, if nothing else, it'll hopefully point you in the right direction when it comes to creating pad sounds in general with Analog.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xl17i04bptgy870

The example on the Ableton site, has some reverb on it, I think. This one also sounds best with a nice long reverb. I recommend the 'Long Tail' preset from the 'Hall' folder in the Reverb presets.

marra
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by marra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:13 am

r_v wrote:I had a go at recreating this. It's not really spot on, but, if nothing else, it'll hopefully point you in the right direction when it comes to creating pad sounds in general with Analog.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xl17i04bptgy870

The example on the Ableton site, has some reverb on it, I think. This one also sounds best with a nice long reverb. I recommend the 'Long Tail' preset from the 'Hall' folder in the Reverb presets.
Hats off to you r_v, to my ears and my feelings you nailed this baby spot on!! I owe you a drink and a vacation.. I think you created a lot of classics with this one..

Sorry this being all off-sync and corny but: http://home.no/reddvinylene/warm_pad_after_rv.mp3

r_v
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by r_v » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:04 am

marra wrote: Hats off to you r_v, to my ears and my feelings you nailed this baby spot on!! I owe you a drink and a vacation.. I think you created a lot of classics with this one..

Sorry this being all off-sync and corny but: http://home.no/reddvinylene/warm_pad_after_rv.mp3
glad it did the trick. thanks for posting some music with it so quickly, it's great to hear it in use.

sayeh
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: How to recreate "Warm Pad" at http://www.ableton.com/analog

Post by sayeh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Just found this. It's great! Sucks that they didn't include it in the library. I tweaked RV Warm Pad a little. O1 is a saw, O2 is a sine pitched down an octave and I added some reverb and spread the stereo as much as possible to simulate the squeaky-clean mastering job they did. Hope you all like it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hacop2ggwjm4 ... %20Pad.adg

Post Reply