Recreating Reason's Alligator Filtered Gate Effect

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gncgry

Recreating Reason's Alligator Filtered Gate Effect

Post by gncgry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm

well, i got nothing better to do, so i created a rack to do the same thing as the "Reason's Alligator Filtered Gate Effect". took me about 20 mins.

I created 4 patterns. you can go in to the chain selector clip automation and create yours.

have fun! http://www.mediafire.com/?gxiu8ijl14488fb
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

daveashe

Re: Recreating Reason's Alligator Filtered Gate Effect

Post by daveashe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm

I love reason and all but i just don't think alligator is that great to be honest, but I will check out your patch!

I find ableton's resonator is much more useful for me as a sound design tool.

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm

I haven't messed with the Alligator thingy, but I love processing things with Thor, either just the filters, or even using the oscillators, too.

RolandS

Post by RolandS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Please upload your files again - mediafire is reporting "Invalid or Deleted File".
Thanks a lot.

phonographiq

Post by phonographiq » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:36 am

Yuh, I'm also interested- where'd it go?
rhythmic surrealism / philadelphia / $$$
http://soundcloud.com/phonographiq

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:51 am

guys sorry, tonight i'll upload the patch again.

cheers.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 pm

i made my own version of the alligator, interested to see how you did it. the whole appeal of alligator are the patterns pre-programmed and all that. In live we can't really do that unless we're doing automation by hand.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:49 pm

cant believe i have deleted the original =) anyways i recreated it quickly. the trick is to animate the chain selector within the dummy clips. you can add the drive/phaser/delay part yourself if you want.

http://www.mediafire.com/?38ok45gopssvr04

cheers.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Ah yeah the ole dummy clip. Such a headache.

It'll be interesting to see you chain selector programming tho

RolandS

Re: Recreating Reason's Alligator - M4L Abligator

Post by RolandS » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 am

I rebuilded the concept of Reason's Alligator as a group of audio tracks with the usage of a more or less simple Max for Live Audio Effect. While doing this I was really thrilled, that now there are more possibilities in creating rhythmical dependencies in comparison to the original. I'm also thrilled about Max for Live, cause this was my first usage with own programming (although I stole a lot of tut modules).

In a different way from the original, Abligator is able to control not only 3 but 6 effect ways. I decided not to use an ínstrument rack, but rather a group of regular audio tracks, cause of the effect send ways.

The output of the audio source track has to be routed to the 'Aligator In' track. The Abligator max control device is included in the Abligator group track. You can choose between different patterns and edit them. By pressing 'Route' each track of the sequencer grid can assigned to a parameter (In my case I assigned the track activators of the 3 effect tracks). The 'Abligator FX' track is including envelope control devices (Max Api) for quantized controlling the volume and a frequency filter.
Of course each effect track can extended with all available live effects. The master crossfader controls the dry/wet signal.

That's it.
Hope you enjoy it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f0jgx0saed2c8uu

Roland.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see it completed.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm

RolandS wrote: Hope you enjoy it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f0jgx0saed2c8uu

Roland.
love it! it's not quantizing well for me though... is that a latency thing or what? I'm not a regular M4L user and I'm running it in demo mode. I've wanted max for SOOO long just waiting for something to push me over, so I usually check these kinds of things out.

Anyway, sounds great when I solo it, sounds off when i turn the metronome on.

RolandS

Post by RolandS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Jekblad wrote: love it! it's not quantizing well for me though... is that a latency thing or what? I'm not a regular M4L user and I'm running it in demo mode. I've wanted max for SOOO long just waiting for something to push me over, so I usually check these kinds of things out.

Thanks Jeff. I'm not sure, if this is an issue of your computer, my Abligator device, the device settings, or my ear. The settings of the live pack are not very sensible - the 16th offbeats on FXChain 2 are sounding too dominant and are shifting the impression of the main beat. You could try to mute FXChain 2 (Monitor off). You could also change the routing of the tracks in the Abligator device and make the volume envelope shorter in the Abligator FX track.

I made some of these changes and uploaded the live pack again:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t1jr7xrj9mtftax

So, I hope this helps. And it would be helpful also for me, if you give it another try and report the result.

By the way, ShelLuser gives a good explanation of the Reason Aligator functionality and I'm also interested in his result.

Cheers,
Roland.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Roland thanks man.

I totally had the settings changed from your livepack, I'll mess arOund more and see if I can get it to sync up.

dburton

Post by dburton » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 am

ShelLuser wrote:I see more people got intrigued with Aligator. I'm currently working on a (low prio!) hobby project to recreate this critter and to have something to blog about :D

Right now I'm down to setting up the rack and picking the Live devices. My version will be heavily powered by M4L though because although I don't plan to create a one on one copy I do plan to mimic the interface a little. And since a rack only has 8 macro's...

In case anyone is bored enough or has some time to kill; this is my first post about it :mrgreen:
Hey I was really into your first post about this. I couldn't find any further posts as to the current status of this project, so I figured I'd just ask directly: ever end up putting together a facsimile of Alligator in Live? I've been real interested in the idea of late, and it's those same hurdles you mentioned on your blog I can't quite wrap my head around (amp envelope & the ducking function).