Looping effect live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vanngogh

Looping effect live?

Post by vanngogh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 am

I'm wondering how I can get a loop effect while playing a live show... I've got beat repeat, set up, and that's great, but I want to be able to repeat x amount of time (lets say 1 bar) and have it continuously loop until I tell it to stop, while not moving forward in the song. I've messed with the looper, but the song continues, leaving me with a loop that I can't do anything with... Any suggestions? I'm looking for the ability to do what DVS does at apps 6:15 in this video- loop a part of the song but not have the song continue like it does in beat repeat... Essentially repeat a bar for as long as I want...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzE9gvxNtcM

6:15-6:26

Thanks !

supersolid

Re: Looping effect live?

Post by supersolid » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm coming across the same issue. I've played around with midi mapping the loop regions and loop toggle in arrangement view, but it's not a very reliable setup.

Does anybody have any workarounds for this?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 pm

If you have Max4live then theres my modular device at www.isotonikstudios.com

Otherwise you could midi map to the two set buttons on the clip and set the global quantize to the size loop you wish to set...

Or Cliphx which is just way out there with functionality....

Cheers
D

supersolid

Post by supersolid » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 am

@S4racen,

Thanks for the feedback.

I would be interested in purchasing the Modular series for the use of your Looper, but I have one question--does this version of looper control the transport playback? The motivation here is to be able to trigger a DJ session to loop 4-8 bars without progressing further in the set.

This wouldn't be track specific--it would apply to the entire set.

If the Modular version of Looper can do this, I would buy this product ASAP.

Thanks.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 am

i have also a question about the looper. what´s the difference between the modular series looper and the looper from the isotonik bundle? is there a possibilitie to set 4/8/16 bar loops without selecting the right track?

p.s. is the looper running with live 9 atm?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

The modular series Looper can be dropped on a track and mapped independently whilst the looper functionality within Isotonik is pre-mapped as one of the scenes within the device controllable from the APC40...

Both devices allow you to set loops on defined tracks that are not in focus!

Looper 3 is working for Live 9 and is available for download to subscribers already, it allows you to set a user definable loop size, with 5 punch in buttons or a single button with a dial controlling the loop length!

With Isotonik currently the loop sizes are set within the device, this will change for Isotonik 9 the first beta of which will be Live 9 compatible shortly....

Cheers
D

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

S4racen wrote:The modular series Looper can be dropped on a track and mapped independently whilst the looper functionality within Isotonik is pre-mapped as one of the scenes within the device controllable from the APC40...

Looper 3 is working for Live 9 and is available for download to subscribers already, it allows you to set a user definable loop size, with 5 punch in buttons or a single button with a dial controlling the loop length!

With Isotonik currently the loop sizes are set within the device, this will change for Isotonik 9 the first beta of which will be Live 9 compatible shortly....

Cheers
D
tried your looper 3! it´s exactly what i need and working with live 9, thx! :)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Evengy wrote:
tried your looper 3! it´s exactly what i need and working with live 9, thx! :)
Wicked, glad you like it.... Welcome on board....!!

Cheers
D

supersolid

Post by supersolid » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 am

The modular series Looper can be dropped on a track and mapped independently whilst the looper functionality within Isotonik is pre-mapped as one of the scenes within the device controllable from the APC40...

Thanks for the reply. Also, thank you for turning me on to ClyphX, which I have used to solve my problem (in a roundabout, but workable way).

My $10,000 question is does the modular series Looper have the option to set a loop which stops the transport from progressing past the loop that was just set? The goal is to be able to trigger a loop in session view mode that will have the song loop ad infinitum while I improvise over the tracks and then, when I'm ready to continue, I disengage the loop and the song carries on.

Like I said, I have this functionality now with ClyphX, but would be interested in your plug-in if it has this functionality as well.

Cheers!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am

It works by controlling the loop functionality in each clip.... Basically allowing you to set loops when a clip isn't in focus!

Depends really how many clips you want to loop at once?

When you say transport though that makes me think your performing from Arrange view??

My Follow device also then allows you to use clips with loops so that the follow action occurs at clip end regardless of how long the clip has been playing for.....

Cheers
D