Automation with third party VST instrument...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
k-toh

Automation with third party VST instrument...

Post by k-toh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Struggling here :(

I'm currently using GenesisCM1.02 within Live 8 (on Windows 7) and I'm unable to map automation to the parameters of the synth. Highly irritating as I'm wanting to fiddle with the filters of the synth to get things just right but I can't assign automation to them. I've tried using Live's EQ and gate to get the same effect but it simply isn't anywhere near as good as via the vst.

Anyone know how I can get automation assigned to the instrument :?:

simmerdown

Re: Automation with third party VST instrument...

Post by simmerdown » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm

down it the clip view/instrument area there..on the instrument, between the power button and the wrench theres a triangle button, hit that....hit 'configure'...click the knobs/etc you want to midi control, they should appear as faders in the 'configure' area...ctrl+m...map to those faders.....

not every control of every third party vst is available to map, dont ask why...but if it does not appear in the config area, you are s.o.l.

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Diggle me backwards with a oversized diggle stick!!

Thank you kind sir. I suspected I'd missed something simple and that has done the trick. With respect to using the manual, it makes me think that a dictionary isn't always any good for people who can't spell, how do they know where to look for a particular word :oops:

:lol:

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 am

gladly...

those crafty little abes hid shit all over the place...i think they must play GTA, lol

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:33 pm

*lol*

I've sorted the one I had issues with last night, but now I'm having trouble with some othe VSTs, namely Absynth5 and Zebralette, I do the twist out on the controllers as mentioned and hit configure but it doesn't recognise when I twiddle the knob, most bits do but others don't. Mildly frustrating and I imagine a little more complicated to get round :cry:

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 pm

i think there is no way around that...if you find one pls post it in here bc i have a few 3rd party vst that will not configure.....

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Cheers, I'll do what I can :|