MEGAMaschine–A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Megatroid

MEGAMaschine–A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Live

Post by Megatroid » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey people, I've just released a unique template for Maschine & Live. I'm keen to hear any feedback or idea you have.

MEGAMaschine is my Maschine template for Ableton Live. It has been designed to give you hands on control for the functions that will facilitate a good workflow while you’re jamming out your tunes. It leaves out many of the functions of other templates so that you focus only on what matters most while you’re composing.

http://youtu.be/GU_4i8FFkjo

Features
-All features are on just 2 pages, no endless menu-diving
-8 Macro knobs to control any Ableton Live rack, automatically mapped using Live’s IMap feature
-All pads are reserved for MIDI notes, and group buttons for changing octaves, no fancy hidden features on pads
-Buttons to navigate devices/racks to assign Macro knobs
-8 buttons mapped to locators in the Live project for easy navigation
-Buttons to control the parameters of the currently selected track, e.g. Arm, Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan
-Easily change the currently selected track with the ‘Swing’ knob
-A Sends page for the 8 knobs to control Sends A – H
-Transport controls including Play/Pause, Play/Restart, Record, Overdub, Scrub Left/Right
-Handy buttons for Undo, and to switch between Sequencer and Arrangement views, and to bring up the Maschine plugin window
-Buttons to navigate and fire/stop the currently selected Scene or Pattern

Download
http://megatroid.noisepages.com/2012/02/megamaschine/
---
Check my other video here for Maschine/Live workflow tips and important ideas on how to use this template effectively, useful even without this template: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYgo_VB3XA

maro

Re: MEGAMaschine–A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Live

Post by maro » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 am

Dude, this is absolutely stunning!! Saw the video, was amazed, installed it - it's working like a charm ... thanks so much for your big effort - for me the download of the year so far :!:

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Does this work with Maschine Mikro?

Megatroid

Post by Megatroid » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm

icedsushi wrote:Does this work with Maschine Mikro?
Well the Maschine template won't work, but the Live template might still be useful (drum group, pad routing, etc.). You can also look into what you can do using Selected Track Control, and make a version for Mikro. Unfortunately the Mikro lacks the 8 knobs that are the main focus of this template.

Megatroid

Post by Megatroid » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:43 pm

maro wrote:Dude, this is absolutely stunning!! Saw the video, was amazed, installed it - it's working like a charm ... thanks so much for your big effort - for me the download of the year so far :!:
That's great to hear man! Really good to know people are finding it useful.

Megatroid

Post by Megatroid » Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 am

Updated to version 2!
Version 2 Change Log:
  • Changed Scene select to ‘TEMPO’ knob (having Track/Scene select on knobs next to each other makes sense – thanks to Citizen for the suggestion)
  • Added clip quantisation to ‘SWING’ knob-LP/HP filters in the EQ8 Rack now only activate when the knob is turned (thanks to Zarkov for the suggestion)
  • Added dummy bars to maschine vst, Group H (can be used to easily keep Maschine in sync with Live, using Loop Scene, without the need to adjust the lengths of
    the patterns you are working with)
  • Added utility rack for volume automation (I find it best to use the Utility Gain to make volume automation, leaving the Volume control for trim)
  • Removed master track selection (unnecessary, just use ‘VOLUME’ knob to a select track)
  • Changed Sequencer/Arrangment view to ‘GRID’ button-Removed Scrub Left/Right ‘<’ and ‘>’ buttons and replaced them with Undo/Redo (I found scrub was uselss, it makes sense having Undo/Redo with transport controls)
  • Changed Clip fire/stop buttons – ‘PAD MODE’ fires the next clip, ‘NAVIGATE’ stops clips on selected track
  • Added un-arm all to ‘DUPLICATE’ button (useful to un-arm tracks before recording automation)
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for locators, number 1-8 (handy for navigating Live when in Maschine mode)
  • Added metronome on/off to ‘STEP’ button
  • Changed Sends page to also include Volume and Pan controls for currently selected track, now only sends A-F (to free up other knobs)
  • Added Location buttons to Sends page, as well as Macro page (so that they are always handy)
  • Changed ‘NOTE REPEAT’ button to ‘back to arrangemnt mode’
  • Removed Device Select button (unecessary, can just use Device Left/Right buttons ‘SNAP’/'AUTO WRITE’)
  • Changed ‘BROWSE’ button to ‘expand automation lane’ (useful for recording automation into arrangement view)
  • Changed ‘SAMPLING’ to Device Detail button

MarkHenry

Post by MarkHenry » Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am

Thakns for sharing this useful information here with us.This template has very nice and helpful features.

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I have tried to follow the directions on BOTH sites....... since I have tried, my PC is crashing BSOD and LIVE is crashing like a mother, where is LIVE 8.3 ? I only see 8.2 8 in my menu, but I have 8.3 installed, this has opened up a nasty can of worms for me, I cannot see where else to put these freaking files, alos now I get the error , LIVE HAS A SERIOUS ERROR AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN, WTF? ALL AFTER TRYING TO INSTALL THIS TEMPLATE..... Maschine finally saw the template after installing it in CONTROLLER EDITOR however LIVE will not see "IMASCHINE CONTROLLER " in prefrences.......

Is there supposed to be a 8.3 folder?where all of this goes? Very frustrated with getting this to work, BSOD has happened twice now.......... HELP! SHould I uninstall LIVE just to get this template?

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 am

This is great. Just what i needed to help me fix up my own Ableton default template. Ta!
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Megatroid

Post by Megatroid » Sat May 12, 2012 4:02 pm

tintala wrote:I have tried to follow the directions on BOTH sites....... since I have tried, my PC is crashing BSOD and LIVE is crashing like a mother, where is LIVE 8.3 ? I only see 8.2 8 in my menu, but I have 8.3 installed, this has opened up a nasty can of worms for me, I cannot see where else to put these freaking files, alos now I get the error , LIVE HAS A SERIOUS ERROR AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN, WTF? ALL AFTER TRYING TO INSTALL THIS TEMPLATE..... Maschine finally saw the template after installing it in CONTROLLER EDITOR however LIVE will not see "IMASCHINE CONTROLLER " in prefrences.......

Is there supposed to be a 8.3 folder?where all of this goes? Very frustrated with getting this to work, BSOD has happened twice now.......... HELP! SHould I uninstall LIVE just to get this template?
Hey man sorry to hear you are having troubles. I'm really not sure what you could of done to cause these issues. I can't think of any reason installing this template could cause a BSOD, no matter how bad you fucked it up. That sounds like a more serious hardware/driver to me.

Where did you get this idea of Live 8.3 from? As far as I know it doesn't exist (I'm running 8.2.1). Also "Maschine Controller" should show up as a MIDI input and output before you even begin installing this template (maybe Maschine isn't installed correctly).

I'd be happy to help you get the template installed, but it sounds like you have bigger problems. Maybe you should re-install Live and make sure it is running stable, along with Maschine, with no BSODs, and then start over.

ndo3k

Post by ndo3k » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 am

i can't get the template to work correctly...Is is able to run on OSX Lion? Thats what I have running. I copied both the Selected Track Control and the Maschine IMap folder into my remote midi scripts folder in my ableton package contents. However I do notice that when I load the maschine controller template in the controller editor, it doesn't seem to appear with the same configurations that you have shown in the image. Am I doing something wrong? Pressing certain pads, buttons, and knobs do control some of the stuff, but its not mapped correctly. Any advice?

skyship

Post by skyship » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 am

there doesn't happen to be a way to change the pad and group settings to be scene/clip related by chance is there??? otherwise fantastic template! :mrgreen:

EmileH

Post by EmileH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:01 am

Hey guys, please tell me that there is a compatible version for Live 9. It would help a lot in my workflow.

Thanks
Emile