My favorite ambient drones

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
marra

My favorite ambient drones

Post by marra » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello!

Quick questions:

1. How to create these type of drones?

2. How do your favorite ambient drones sound like?

Appreciate the support!

Marra

antarktika

Re: My favorite ambient drones

Post by antarktika » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Loads of delay and reverb? I dunno, sounds like maybe some synthesized or sampled birds, church bells, and some other bits with tons of spatial effects.

Wbowers

Post by Wbowers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 am

This sound is a couple layers. there are some pads with a lot of reverb on them. the chirpy sound can be created by using white noise through a Freq shifter, set the shifters lfo shape to random. Id say about 4-5 layers altogether. There's a voice sample cut up running around in there too. sounds like a job for simpler!

Hope this helps

-Wbowers

Wbowers

Post by Wbowers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am

sorry number 2.

I like to find a cool pad, rack it up. duplicate the chain, pan hard L and R and add a bandpass to each chain running opposite of each other.
I then find a sample of something (city or nature recordings) and time stretch them as far as they will go. cut out some cool part and load it in simpler and throw that on a different chain in the Pad Rack. After add an eq8 and take out the lows maybe sidechain compression for some pumping. Just a few ideas. Good Luck!!!

marra

Post by marra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 am

Wbowers wrote:sorry number 2.

I like to find a cool pad, rack it up. duplicate the chain, pan hard L and R and add a bandpass to each chain running opposite of each other.
I then find a sample of something (city or nature recordings) and time stretch them as far as they will go. cut out some cool part and load it in simpler and throw that on a different chain in the Pad Rack. After add an eq8 and take out the lows maybe sidechain compression for some pumping. Just a few ideas. Good Luck!!!
+1 +1 +1 +1 fucking awesome man thanks a lot!!

Wbowers

Post by Wbowers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 pm

No problem! Glad to be of Help!

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am

Outside of recording Analog Modulars (see here for me and doing this: http://www.ableton.com/clint-sand) I like to use operator still for this.

Make a midi note where the loop section comes after the start of the note, and before the end of the note, basically making an endless note. like this: http://artifex.synnack.com/files/drone.png

Put some operators after it and have fun.
Last edited by synnack on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 pm

There also is basic drone tutorial using Operator over at youtube (don't have link handy but should be under the Ableton section there.

I am starting to muck around with Massive and Absynth and probably FM8 again but this time hopefully scratching below the surface to learn more of those beasts as well as Live rack stuff.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm

i like to put real, poorly rec'd sounds in paulstretch first...make a few variations, some binaural pulsing

take those in Live

Togeo studios made some nice simpler presets, i take those too and drop my own samples in place of theirs

mess around freely, great thing about ambient as a genre....no rules to even try to stick to