Microkorg and Ableton Live 7

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
francesco77

Microkorg and Ableton Live 7

Post by francesco77 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am

Hi there!

I would like to hook up a Microkorg (no XL) to my Mac to use it as sound generator and Live7 as a sequencer.

I got a Emu Xmidi 1x1 but not sure is the proper midi interface for that purpose because no data exchange seems to be done between devices.

Can somebody pls tell me how to configurate software and hardware ?

Thanks in advance!!

f

Wbowers

Re: Microkorg and Ableton Live 7

Post by Wbowers » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:01 pm

does microkorg have midi i/os?

francesco77

Post by francesco77 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 am

hello!
Yes Microkorg has Midi in-out-thru ports and audio in -out.

f

Wbowers

Post by Wbowers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 am

ok, this can be done. firstly make sure your midi port on your audio interface is listed in the Preferences> Midi Sync. make sure that both the in and out have Track and Sync enabled.

Secondly, connect the korg to your via midi to you interface both in and out. Also connect its audio outs to your interface's ins.

Third, create a midi track and set its ins and outs to your inrefaces ins and outs. (or you can use the ableton External instrument plug in see manual)

Next, create audio track and sets its ins to your ext in and 1/2 (assuming you used your 1st two inputs, not sure about your interface)

arm the midi track and set the audio tracks monitor to IN

NOw you should be able to use your korg as a sound module and as a midi keyboard. you should be able to record or draw midi to the midi track and record the sound coming from your korg.

hope this helps

francesco77

Post by francesco77 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks a lot for the super clear explanation, I start to hear some low signal out of my speakers but probably will need also to set up the midi options of the MK.

cheers

f