All times are UTC

Post subject: Create Exact Tempo Map Changes in Ableton Live Arrange View
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm 

Thought I'd address a work around that I use for the issue of creating exact Master Tempo Track changes (Global Tempo) in the Arrange View.

My problem: is that clicking and dragging a tempo change in the Master Song Tempo Track is too random, for example: 98bpm becomes 98.11bpm. This becomes a problem when I want to import a long sample that I know is exactly 98bpm. Maximum zoom-in doesn't help with accuracy. This just appears to be how Ableton is wired. It's kind of like having a tuner that will only ever put you a few cents sharp or flat.

My solution: is to put the cursor/playhead on the grid where I need the project tempo to change, then adjust the Global Tempo in the top left corner to the exact Tempo Marking I need. Hit Record for a few bars. Go back to the Tempo Map (Master/SongTempo), select the newly recorded tempo line, and hit Cmd-D (Mac) to duplicate it as many times as I need.

Note: I'm not talking about Warping here. This is just addressing accurate arrangement tempo mapping changes. Or importing long stems/clips at their original tempo, with all Warp options disabled.

I hope this helps others. Anybody feel free to throw-down if you have other methods/ideas..

D

Post subject: Re: Create Exact Tempo Map Changes in Ableton Live Arrange View
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 am 

if you hold down command (mac) or ctrl (pc) when moving the automation you get slower fine numbers. So getting 98.00 instead of 98.11 is much easier if you hold down the key while doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 am 

This being true... it's still a gamble.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am 

SweetPapaya wrote:
This being true... it's still a gamble.

Wow that's deep....

I'd take the other guy's advice!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:53 am 

Did they fix this in Live 9? As someone who works more in arrangement view, the tempo change workaround is a joke. It should work the way meter changes do.

Also Song Tempo should not be a mixer parameter of the master track. That makes no sense. On no mixing console in all recording history, has there been a tempo knob.

Move them somewhere else to a time track or something, or give the master track a timing section.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm 

+1 !