Why did my 'Yellow' warp markers dissappear?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peter_heard01

Why did my 'Yellow' warp markers dissappear?

Post by peter_heard01 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I spent like 3 hours warping all my tracks. When I re-opened a project and started added them in they had dissappeared. Im wondering if my tracks are still warped though and this is normal?
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

Warrior Bob

Re: Why did my 'Yellow' warp markers dissappear?

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Where did you add them from?

When you add an audio file to a Live project and warp it, those warp markers are saved with the clip, not the audio file itself. You can have several clips with different warp markers (and warp modes, etc) that reference the same audio file. If you just add that file again to a different project, you won't get any of this. You need to add the clip you've made.

Now, there is one exception - in the clip editor, there is a button marked "Save." This button will save the current clip's settings as the default clip settings for when that audio file is imported. These are saved in the analysis file that Live drops into the folder with the audio.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Warrior Bob on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Have you opened them on an older version of Live at all? Are they mp3? Did you change any settings on a clip while several were selected?

peter_heard01

Post by peter_heard01 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:Where did you add them from?

When you add an audio file to a Live project and warp it, those warp markers are saved with the clip, not the audio file itself. You can have several clips with different warp markers (and warp modes, etc) that reference the same audio file. If you just add that file again to a different project, you won't get any of this. You need to add the clip you've made.

Now, there is one exception - in the clip editor, there is a button marked "Save." This button will save the current clip's settings as the default clip settings for when that audio file is imported. These are saved in the analysis file that Live drops into the folder with the audio.

Hope this helps!
Warrior Bob, thankyou so much for this explanation! This has really helped me! Now... do you know if its possible to place a marker on my clip to tell me where the bass will come in?
Pte

My House music of varying types...
http://soundcloud.com/pte

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Happy to help!

You can use a warp marker for that if you really want to, although I don't recommend it since it's impossible to distinguish from the other ones.

Honestly the best way to do it is just to know your tracks really well, but if you don't mind spending a few Session slots, you can set up a group of clips that are all just sections of the same track - and you can use Follow Actions to have the next one start as soon as one is finished. You get two things with this - first, you can see how long until the next section, and you can label them as you please, and secondly you can trigger the different sections on their own, kind of like DJ cue points except that it all syncs up to the master tempo.

timday

Post by timday » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 pm

If, instead of adding in the audio file, you find the original Ableton set where you did the warping in the broswer, you can click on the little arrow next to the .als file (not in the samples folder) and it will show you the tracks which you can drag in to the new set. The clips will then be in your new set, complete with all warp markers etc.

PS if you do this and move the set to a different machine, say for DJing, remember to collect all and save first to consolidate the samples in the current project folder.