automating vsti's in realtime

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hps909

automating vsti's in realtime

Post by hps909 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:17 am

hey guys long time reader first time poster :)

ok i want to tweak audiorealism bassline's filter in realtime in session view.. now the only way i can get it to work is if i switch the midi monitor switch on ..which allows me to play ARB from my midi keyboard and tweak the knobs and what not BUT!!! it doesn't play back the clip that i have written for it .... switch it back to auto and the clip plays but i cant control the filters with midi in realtime

now i want to be able to tweak that filter whist the clip plays back the sequence is this possible? or is this a bug or ommision in live? i can get it to work in record mode in the arrangement page but i'm going to playing out live with it and i want to be able to tweak that shit live with out it recording automation data ....the manual says SFA about it ...

any ideas or a fix would be muchly appreciated

cheers H.P.S?

hps909

Post by hps909 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:40 am

ok sorted it wont tweak in realtime from the interface but it will tweak from the expanded device box

madlab

Post by madlab » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:00 am

Just tried this yesterday with my remote 25 and it doesn't work. I know I can tweak things from the Live's GUI but I'd really like to be able to do it form my controller kbd.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:08 am

I do this all the time, tweak MIDI paramaters while a midi clip is playing in session view . . . make sure monitoring is auto, and set the MIDI channel on record (red midi plug) . . . if that isn't doing it . . . i dunno :p

Turn off overdub if you don't wanna record parameters.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:56 pm

Harris.Andrew wrote:I do this all the time, tweak MIDI paramaters while a midi clip is playing in session view . . . make sure monitoring is auto, and set the MIDI channel on record (red midi plug) . . . if that isn't doing it . . . i dunno :p

Turn off overdub if you don't wanna record parameters.
What version of Live are you using? I have 4.01 and it's not working.

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:05 pm

Just to clarify (actually, maybe this makes it more confusing, w/e :p) :

I just played around with it a bit to see what works and what doesn't, using Buzzer2, Live 4.1.1, edirol pcr-30 (a pretty standard MIDI controller) on an OS X system.

Opened a default Live set. Using Buzzer2's midi-mapping interface, i mapped cc74 to filter one freq:

Playing a clip in session, monitor on auto, channel record on . . . ok
Playing a clip in arrange, monitor on auto, channel record on . . . ok
Playing a clip in arrange, switching to session view, monitor on auto, channel record on . . . I first had to click "back to arrangement" (keystroke: f10) . . . then the midi clip played, and the tweaks worked.

Things that made it not work, were turning monitoring to on, channel record off . . . having OVR (overdub) on allowed tweaks, but also simultaneously played them back . . very confusing. Global Record was similarly, uh, it just doesn't jive with loop & tweak.

NOTE: Another option is to unfold the plug-in's parameters, and use Live's MIDI mapping on those GUI elements. This works regardless of monitor or channel record settings. It of course steals the midi control, overriding in my case the Buzzer2 keymappings.

jbible

Post by jbible » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:32 pm

It works fine if you just have the monitor off, ovr off, and record on. It works all the time if you just do a midi learn of the parameters in live's parameter view of the instrument. Thats better anyways because then you can control multiple isntruments on multiple channels at the same time. When loading instruments into live...try to stop thinking about the individual instruments but Live as the custom instrument you are building.

But you could also setup a separate midi channel with your clip that sends midi to the channel with the instrument on it. Just have monitor on on the channel with the instrument on it and it will receive midi from the channel with your clip on it and your midi controller.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry