Tips For Recording Audio?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jmc

Tips For Recording Audio?

Post by jmc » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey all,

So ive been using Live to do some recording of me singing and playing on my acoustic guitar. I get a lot of White Noise when recording. I am using a Shure mic(just a regular mic, not a condenser mic) ran through a preamp to up the volume it records at.

My question is, what is a good way to get rid of the white noise? will having a condenser mic be better? sorry i dont know what the diff between a regular and condenser mic is.

Also, if i record the vocal tracks separately, is there anything i can do improve the quality of it(the recording quality, not my voice haha) Sorry, Im a newbie so im not really too sure on all of the features of Live.

vangroover

Post by vangroover » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:42 pm

is you mic maybe picking up unwated humming from fans, fire places the fridge what ver may be on while you run it, try wearing headphones while the mic is engaged to record. then walk around your room turning light switchs on and off make sure your windows are closed, and there is no air conditioning on or gas fire places.
Intel G4 Duo 2GHZ / 2G of Ram / OS 10.4.8 / UC-33 controller / Live 6.0.3

randyh

Post by randyh » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:46 pm

A condenser mic won't get you any less white noise. It sounds like something is wrong in your signal path. Monitor the signal *before* it goes to your computer and see if you still have the white noise. If not, something is wrong with your soundcard. Live just records what you give to it just like any other audio app so it's not Live's fault.

What preamp are you using? What soundcard are you using? What input on the soundcard are you using? (If it's the mic input, change to the line input).

Not trying to shoo you away or anything, but your question is more of a general audio recording question than a Live question. You might get more help at a forum geared toward that kind of thing, although I'm sure you'll get some answeres here. You just might find more help elsewhere.

-r
Master of the Interweb

jmc

Post by jmc » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:32 am

Dang, i was using the mic input.