Library on System SSD?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
redglass

Library on System SSD?

Post by redglass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:43 am

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a SSD for my Audio PC.
I want to install the OS (Win7 64 Bit) on the new SSD.
Does it make sense to copy my Live Library to the new System SSD or should I leave on my second HD, that it build in my PC?

ps: Samsung 830 or 840 seems to be a good choice...

Gab

Re: Library on System SSD?

Post by Gab » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Get either the 830 or the 840 Pro. The 840 uses a different kind of memory with lower endurance. And there might be problems with the current firmware of the 840 & 840 Pro (unless Samsung already fixed it), so the 830 should be the safer bet (it's still an excellent SSD, and is currently one of the best bang for buck SSD along with the Crucial M4 and the Intel 330).

You can install the library on the SSD (I did), you will notice shorter loading times with projects.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

redglass

Post by redglass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Gab wrote:Get either the 830 or the 840 Pro. The 840 uses a different kind of memory with lower endurance. And there might be problems with the current firmware of the 840 & 840 Pro (unless Samsung already fixed it), so the 830 should be the safer bet (it's still an excellent SSD, and is currently one of the best bang for buck SSD along with the Crucial M4 and the Intel 330).

You can install the library on the SSD (I did), you will notice shorter loading times with projects.
Thanks Gab, where do you put your Live-projects? On another HDD?

Gab

Post by Gab » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm

I leave them on the SSD. For me, there is no point in putting the library on the SSD if project loading is still slowed down because some files remain on a HDD ;)

Even if you record a lot of audio (several gigabytes each day) in your projects, SSD endurance should not be a problem. The Crucial M4 can write 40GB per day over a period of five years (specs here), and read operations do not wear the SSD. The figures for the Samsung 830 should be similar, and Sandforce-based SSDs (such as the Intel 330) are still given for 5-10 GB/day over the same period. Plus, drive endurance numbers given by manufacturers are usually pretty conservative.

So it's mostly a question of available space on your drive. If you can put it all on the SSD, don't be afraid to do so.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

redglass

Post by redglass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Gab wrote:I leave them on the SSD. For me, there is no point in putting the library on the SSD if project loading is still slowed down because some files remain on a HDD ;)

Even if you record a lot of audio (several gigabytes each day) in your projects, SSD endurance should not be a problem. The Crucial M4 can write 40GB per day over a period of five years (specs here), and read operations do not wear the SSD. The figures for the Samsung 830 should be similar, and Sandforce-based SSDs (such as the Intel 330) are still given for 5-10 GB/day over the same period. Plus, drive endurance numbers given by manufacturers are usually pretty conservative.

So it's mostly a question of available space on your drive. If you can put it all on the SSD, don't be afraid to do so.
Ok, thanks!