Nervous to reorganize my sample library...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Check1-2

Nervous to reorganize my sample library...

Post by Check1-2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

So lately my sample library has grown considerably and I've been noticing for a long time that where I had originally saved my sample folder was not ideal. I want to reorganize my sub-folders as well a bit. I'm worried that the songs I've created using these samples will be a massive bitch to get working again if I start moving stuff around.

I feel that pulling my main "Samples" folder from its current location will not be a problem to redirect ableton to it elsewhere. But I'm concerned that if I start pulling, say, samples from sub-folder "Percussion" and move it to a new folder called "Bells" or something, within the Samples folder, it might be a huge pain in the ass to get Ableton to locate the specific sample.

Am I overthinking this? If the sample is located anywhere within the main "Sample" folder which I'm telling Ableton to use, regardless of the main folders location, or the location of the sample within subfolders in the main folder, will Ableton locate it with ease?

Sorry if that was a bitch to follow - subfolder in main folder, main folder in new folder, bs - just wondering if I'm in for a bitch here and whether its really going to be worth it.

DJYoshaBYD

Re: Nervous to reorganize my sample library...

Post by DJYoshaBYD » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 am

Check1-2 wrote:So lately my sample library has grown considerably and I've been noticing for a long time that where I had originally saved my sample folder was not ideal. I want to reorganize my sub-folders as well a bit. I'm worried that the songs I've created using these samples will be a massive bitch to get working again if I start moving stuff around.

I feel that pulling my main "Samples" folder from its current location will not be a problem to redirect ableton to it elsewhere. But I'm concerned that if I start pulling, say, samples from sub-folder "Percussion" and move it to a new folder called "Bells" or something, within the Samples folder, it might be a huge pain in the ass to get Ableton to locate the specific sample.

Am I overthinking this? If the sample is located anywhere within the main "Sample" folder which I'm telling Ableton to use, regardless of the main folders location, or the location of the sample within subfolders in the main folder, will Ableton locate it with ease?

Sorry if that was a bitch to follow - subfolder in main folder, main folder in new folder, bs - just wondering if I'm in for a bitch here and whether its really going to be worth it.
Instead of doing that, I just moved all of that stuff to another folder, created a new studio folder, got my organization method, and started like that. Obviously dont throw out the tracks, but it was much easier just start like that from now on, than go back and try to reorganize all of it.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah that works and makes sense from a "from now on" type perspective. But my concern is about the songs I've already created and losing the location of all the samples I've used on everything thus far...

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

go thru the important tracks/projects and do a 'collect all and save'...a copy of all sounds and such will be brought to the project file

then reorganize as needed, no missing files

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm

simmerdown wrote:go thru the important tracks/projects and do a 'collect all and save'...a copy of all sounds and such will be brought to the project file

What he said.

Check1-2

Post by Check1-2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes!! Perfect. That's exactly what I needed. You guys are awesome.

DJYoshaBYD

Post by DJYoshaBYD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:36 am

simmerdown wrote:go thru the important tracks/projects and do a 'collect all and save'...a copy of all sounds and such will be brought to the project file

Oh yeah. totally forgot about that. Kinda. I always do that by default anyway. haha. Its the first thing I do after saving a set and the last thing I do before closing. Thats probably why I havent had a problem with it. Plus, I keep my stuff, like, paranoid-organized.