Run Ableton Live 8 on LINUX!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bwanicur

Re: Run Ableton Live 8 on LINUX!

Post by bwanicur » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:45 am

Per the conversation earlier in the thread...

@DJYoshaBYD are you an Ableton developer ? I ask, because you use "we" in your reply often. I just want to verify that WINE is indeed used by the OSX version Ableton. Not trying to troll here... honest question. And if not, can anyone point to a documentation from Ableton engineers about how OSX/WINE work together or not ?

I'd really like to get away from Apple products and Ableton is the one deal-breaker for me. If it is true that the OSX versions runs on WINE also, that would make me feel a whole lot better about switching over to Linux (Ubuntu most likely).

Any Ubuntu/Linux users out there who have some feedback about the stability of Ableton Live on Linux ?

andrew luhring

Post by andrew luhring » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:41 am

wow. that was easy.
props

VicDemise

Post by VicDemise » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I have just one thing to say, and that is THANK YOU!
I'm so totally sold on Linux (Makulu Mate BTW- BEAUTIFUL!) and the only snag has been running Live.
I have yet to try this- (well I did once and got Ableton to install, but it worked really poorly, really not at all,
but I'm hoping you have fixed that and I can finally give MS Windows the boot (loader).

octavious

Post by octavious » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:55 am

Thank you very much for this.

Is there any chance we could get this goin for live 9 intro)

thats the only version i have at the moment.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:27 pm

bwanicur wrote: I just want to verify that WINE is indeed used by the OSX version Ableton. Not trying to troll here... honest question. And if not, can anyone point to a documentation from Ableton engineers about how OSX/WINE work together or not ?
Late response as there are new readers coming: That's total bullshit. DJYoshaBYD have no idea whatsoever what he's talking about. That should be obvious if you read previous responses. What is there is modularized multi-platform source code that is recompiled to each platform. That's obvious for anyone familiar with music software development and that converses with developers.

If you ever used Wine apps you know what to look for in the compiled app and none of that is present in the Ableton Live product.

Actually the biggest problem with a Linux-version, which I'd welcome, is that I think there are too few people interested in purchasing the product.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:34 pm

OctavioPineda wrote:Thank you very much for this.

Is there any chance we could get this goin for live 9 intro)
Forget it. I wouldn't rule out running a Windows or even an OS X version side by side with Linux on suitable hardware, but there would be an overhead and quite likely increased latency. But the reality is installing both OSes and reboot when you need the features. Perhaps not a bad idea as you'll be focused on just making music when you boot into your music OS.

Or you could have 2 machines.

Of course you can contact Ableton and suggest this, but don't expect them to do it.

Also, there is nice music software on Linux, isn't there?
Make some music!

septuplet

Post by septuplet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:41 am

I'm trying to install Ableton Live 9. I'm getting a "only runs on Windows 7 or later" kinda message. I opened the wine configuration and changed it to Windows 7. But still nothing happens. Any ideas?

8E

Post by 8E » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:55 pm

DJYoshaBYD wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:But why? o/s is cheap these days so what's the point in having an extra layer to slow things down and cause everything to crash?
But to answer more concise, Mac OSX Ableton live version uses WINE for a translation layer, as you can see, it works fine. :)
Is that really true??
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Mootze

Running Serum VST

Post by Mootze » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Hey guys,
i know i am reviving an ancient topic, but i figured if somebody can help me, than it's you.
I run Ableton Live 9 through Wine 1.7.52, configured with PlayOnLinux. Everything works great, even most VST's. The only thing that keeps bothering me is that i can't get Serum to work. It installs fine, but upon opening the VST in Ableton it shows a black screen (see picture). The sound engine seems to work though, as i can play Serum by MIDI. I tried installing different libs, but to be honest, i don't have a clue what i am doing.
Hope you can help - this should be interesting for a lot of people :)

Thanks in advance

Specs:
ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Ableton Live 9.1.7
Wine 1.7.52
Xfer Serum 1.0.1

Edit: I had better results when using wine 1.5.25, but far from usable. At least i see something now:

Mootze

Post by Mootze » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Bump

Hanumum

Post by Hanumum » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 pm

brilliant work, every other article I've read on this has been ridiculously complicated and here is a way to just click through and have it all done.

Any news on Live 10? I've had it for a year and barely used it as I hate booting into Windows and really can't work out how to get it to work on Ubuntu :?

Thanks for the great work