Something more advanced than Impulse...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
MadKeithV

Something more advanced than Impulse...

Post by MadKeithV » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am

Hey guys,
I'm a recent convert to Ableton Live!, enjoying the living daylights out of its quirky features, and now getting into sampling (I'm a guitarist, this stuff is scary!).
Anyway, the Impulse is fun, but it's obviously mostly for drums and very limited, so I'm looking for something more advanced.
I know there are a bunch of options, from Kompakt to Gigastudio, but I'm looking for something reasonably cheap with great features and .WAV import capability. I'm mostly wondering - is the NN-XT sampler in Reason advanced enough for doing cool orchestra sounds (given that I have some great string samples already) or should I get an actual VSTi sampler instead? Any ideas?

defunkt

Post by defunkt » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:36 am

ds404 sampler free with computer music mag on the cd.also do a search on www.kvr-vst.com for vst sampler's.

MadKeithV

Post by MadKeithV » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:04 am

I've got the DS404 sampler, and it's interface is (to put it mildly) practically unusable - but I haven't found anything better (free) on KVR-VST either, so I'm looking into actual boxed solutions.

Sly One

Post by Sly One » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:15 pm

Personally, I don't think that there's a VST sampler OR drum machine that comes close to Reason's NN-XT and Redrum for useability.

Sound quality and features, hmm :roll: but sheer productivity 8O

Why oh why oh why do they all miss the most basic, simple, obvious, quick workflow features?

Sorry, that's not very helpful, is it. *moan*

MadKeithV

Post by MadKeithV » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Sound-quality wise I have tin ears anyway (again, guitarist ;) ), so I probably wouldn't notice any difference much. I can import .WAV files into NN-XT right?

bug nasty

Post by bug nasty » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm

the NNXT is great. you can import wav files if you wish. the orkester soundbank that comes with reason 2 and 3 some really nice multis of orchestral instruments. it allso comes with reLoad utility which lets you convert and import akai and giga formatted sample collections into the NNXT. lots of other goodies with come with reason as well.

buggin 8O
8O..................8O

conny

Post by conny » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:26 pm

Paax will release a new sample player version soon, that can load SoundFonts.
It's free.
Velocity layers etc.
Lot's of settings for individual splits.
The current version is limited, the new will have a new GUI etc.
PC only.

And yes, there are tons of banks for the DS404 but I have not managed to create a single one myself.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 am

Shortcircuit

http://www.vemberaudio.com/products.php

It's worth getting their free cutdown version to test. It only has two note polyphony but apart from that is the same as the paid for (110 ero) full multi layered polyphonic version. The freebie even lets you load Rex files! So it's pretty useful. BTW the filters on this thing are amazing.

Definately worth a try before shelling out for something like Kontakt, especially if your samples are 'home grown' rather than 'shop bought'

AndrewDuke

Re: Something more advanced than Impulse...

Post by AndrewDuke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:15 am

MadKeithV wrote:Hey guys,
I'm a recent convert to Ableton Live!, enjoying the living daylights out of its quirky features, and now getting into sampling (I'm a guitarist, this stuff is scary!).
Anyway, the Impulse is fun, but it's obviously mostly for drums

***well, you don't have to limit yourself to just drums.

and very limited, so I'm looking for something more advanced.
I know there are a bunch of options, from Kompakt to Gigastudio, but I'm looking for something reasonably cheap with great features and .WAV import capability. I'm mostly wondering - is the NN-XT sampler in Reason advanced enough for doing cool orchestra sounds (given that I have some great string samples already) or should I get an actual VSTi sampler instead? Any ideas?
i like battery from ni, but impulse shouldn't be given up on before you explore its potential. andrew

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:04 pm

I agree with Andrew. I have a lot of tools that I can use for samples but you can go a lot further with Impulse than you would think. It is limited by the number of slots but you can multiply impulses and spread your midi notes across all of them. You can load any of your sound clips into impulse and mess with them there. I have been very surprised by some of the reults that I have gotten.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

MadKeithV

Post by MadKeithV » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:45 am

That's pretty much what I've been doing with Impulse so far - not that I've had a huge amount of time with it. It's stuff like muting and legato that I'm missing - am I using it wrong (can I get Impulse to respond to note off messages?)