What VSTi has simmilar feat. to Impulse and good on CPU??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Danjel

What VSTi has simmilar feat. to Impulse and good on CPU??

Post by Danjel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:28 am

Not a big fan of the impulse (and least current version) and would like something to replace it with that is equally light on CPU and clutterless.

Suggestions?

cheers,
Danjel

noise

Post by noise » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:46 pm

there are lots of vsti's that *could* be replacements for impulse. Just poke around on kvraudio.com (dr fusion, drumatic, ersdrums...)
What is it that you don't like about impulse? Once that is known, maybe folks could steer you in a different direction.

naulboy

Post by naulboy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:50 pm

Yup, I'm interested to see what you don't like in the Impulse? Personally I think its wicked! Although it'd be great if it could warp loops to BPM automatically and you could choose for a sample not to decay at all.
Cheers,
Phil

www.splitloop.com

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:25 pm

just a note naulboy - you can set clips to "gate" rather than "trigger" (i think those are the two options, it's the toggle close to the decay knob).

Also, here's something I just figured out:

When chopping a loop to place into impulse, the obvious way is to adjust warp markers and drag into impulse; this affects the start time of the sample in the impulse slot, but does not warp the beats and doesn't cut the sample off where the end warp marker is.

The solution is simply to set the warp markers, then consolidate in arrange. This will apply warp and precisely trim the clip down to the hit(s) between the start and end warp marker. Which is the more obvious result!

naulboy

Post by naulboy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:16 pm

holy hot momma -

can't wait to get home and try this!

re: the gate thing, doesn't gate still only last as long as the time on the dial?

Phil
Cheers,
Phil

www.splitloop.com

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:20 pm

yeah, up to a max of only 10 seconds i believe... which is too short sometimes! :P

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Not a big fan of the impulse (and least current version) and would like something to replace it with that is equally light on CPU and clutterless.
--> Native instruments battery:
- very easy to use
- a bit more CPU expensive than a single Impulse , but you need only 1 instance of battery for a whole project : you can have each drumcell/sample routed to an individual track in ableton without affecting the CPU load much ( <> rewire for example eats extra CPU with each extra track rewired)
- compressor , eq/filter , envelopes , modulation , velocity crossfades , layering , ... on each individual drumcell
- 3 gig soundlibrary[/quote]

LIFE

Post by LIFE » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:47 am

the killer-app is: Reaktor.
You can download hundreds of drummachines and (if you want and able) completly personalize to your workflow. With simply tricks you can prestes change/morph and would have absolutly remote-controll to ALL parameters you want (yes, to mute/solo too). You can step on the fly/during the song trough all loaded samples and yeah, if you like stepsequenza its much lesser work to create seqeunzes and variations of it. (A 8-sampler instance whit 24 db LBH-Filter after each sampler-module needs a little bit more cpu than impulse.

The only thing i miss: the stretch/Tune algorithmics in live are sounding (in my kind of sound-ideal) much better.
hp pavillion, athlon-m 2400, 512 ram (64shared for onboard gfx), tascam us122, bcr 2000.