more questions about djing with live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
summersc2002

more questions about djing with live

Post by summersc2002 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:21 pm

Ok, so I have my warped track and I'm ready to mix it with other songs, how do I isolate the vocals from that track? Or do you guys just make some bass and drum lines to go along w/ the song your trying to blend? Im really new to this whole thing so if you guys could tell me how you dj with live(in detail) , that would really help.

thanks

chris

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 pm

Do a search for "DJ" on this board. Read.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:11 am

wow, thanks

dCross

Post by dCross » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:03 am

summersc2002 wrote:wow, thanks
sarcasm?

I can understand how you'd be pissed, but please understand that we get about 3 "how do I DJ with live?" posts a week, so it's hard to keep saying the same thing....

supster

Post by supster » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:07 am

if you take 5 minutes to search, you will find huge threads that talk about nothing else

one of them is either on this page, or like one page back.

scroll, grasshoppa. scroll ....
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:09 am

Zactly. This board is FULL of useful information. And all that information is easily found using the search function.

Top 3 subjects asked about OVER and OVER again...

1. How do I DJ with Live?
2. What program should I use to make music/record multitrack/DJ with?
3. How do I warp?

... but not necessarily in that order.

and all the questions get answered in some way...

(Runner Up: What computer should I get?)

Good luck
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:12 pm

ok,

Im sorry maybe I should have been more specific, I need help understanding the djing process entirely. I have no experience w/ vinal or digital. Thats why Im asking people to explain exactly what they do when they dj. I have done a search for "djing", "beginners" etc, etc, and I didn't find what Im looking for so thats why im asking if some of you guys could break down the process for me, I would really appreciate it.

chris

Chalupa

Post by Chalupa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:47 pm

well theres no right way or wrong way
maybe there is an generally accepted way but thats debatable
my suggest to you would be maybe to trying this
find some dj mixes that you enjoy very much
then go find as many of the same songs that are been using in this mixes
now you can be trying to find the places where they have been mixing the tunes
sooner or later you will finding the exact spot where to begin a tune in relations to another one
listen for technique of for instance parts of the eq being turned on or off to introduce new parts in that same places

drush

Post by drush » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:53 pm

summersc2002 wrote:ok,

Im sorry maybe I should have been more specific, I need help understanding the djing process entirely. I have no experience w/ vinal or digital. Thats why Im asking people to explain exactly what they do when they dj. I have done a search for "djing", "beginners" etc, etc, and I didn't find what Im looking for so thats why im asking if some of you guys could break down the process for me, I would really appreciate it.

chris
that question is just down the street from "tell me how to produce a track". there's no 1 (or 10) correct answers(s). the advice you already got was the best: find mixes you like, listen to them. better yet, go see djs (of almost any sort) and pay attention to what they're doing.

kinda like what's one of the best ways to become a writer? -- read a lot.

dCross

Post by dCross » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:12 pm

summersc2002 wrote:ok,

chris
Ok, so you're wondering what exactly DJs are doing when they're up there in the booth? I'm assuming you're talking about traditional dance music DJs?

Technically, DJs are chaining individual songs together to form a cohesive set. This is possible due to speed controls on DJ turntables and CD players, along with songs that stick to a rigid speed (beats per minute = BPM) throughout. This allows the DJ to seamlessly go from one song to the next, which enables them to control the energy level of the set.

Ableton Live fits into this mix because it's a tempo-sensitive music sequencing environment - instead of doing the manual labor of matching your songs to a specific BPM, Live does it for you. Keep in mind that Live does a lot more than this, but it's that feature that's been attracting a lot of DJs to it.

If you're seriously interested in the entire DJing craft, there and two excellent books out there.

"Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" is a history of the DJ and all the musical styles they've been involved in.

"How to DJ Right" ("How to DJ Properly" in the UK) is an excellent manual - one of the best instructional books I've seen.

Both are written by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton

summersc2002

Post by summersc2002 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:37 pm

thanks alot for your posts, Im definetely going to check out that dj book drc.

chris

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:54 pm

Have we had a semantic discussion about what a DJ is this week, or not ? I forget.

Anyway - If you are using Live I dont think you are what is commonly understood to be a DJ. I'm definately not a DJ so I'm allowed to say that ;)

To me it's like those great big turbo tractor dragster things, do those guys describe themselves as tractor drivers and read up on how best to plough a field?

With Live you can take chunks of someone elses stuff, chunks of your stuff, and - change it about in front of people without it giving you a coronary.
If you want to call that DJing feel free, personally I think it's different - and it helps to realise that ... and not try to 'be a DJ' .
I wouldnt try and copy one methodology you are unfamiliar with onto a new and much broader medium.

just piss about with the gear in a vaguely musical manner is my advice. Turn all the dials, press all the buttons - when the sun comes up, crash out on the couch.

8)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:23 am

ill tell you right now that beatmatching is only part of it.
track selection means a hell of a lot more than beatmatcing as im sure any dj on her will tell you... the crowd ultimatly dont give a shit if you can beat mathc, but im sure as hell that if the tracks you play are piss, they stop dancing :wink:

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:58 pm

little question: how many Gigabytes of hardrive do you spend on warped wav versions of the tracks you DJ?
I'd like to DJ with live , but in WAV format it just eats 10 times more harddrive than in mp3.
I'd almost have to buy an extra external drive for my laptop (which is already filled with ableton , tons of samples and 4 Gigs of WoW )

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:24 pm

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18527

Checkout the last couple of posts to get an idea of what people do when they DJ.

btw... This thread is from only a couple of days ago.... hence, you can
see why no one wants to answer it again :-)
I'd like to DJ with live , but in WAV format it just eats 10 times more
harddrive than in mp3.
Yeah only 10 to 15 times bigger..... yet at least 100 times better.
4 Gig is nothing.... get a new drive....

-Ben