Any way to lock return track envelopes to clips?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SLEEarts

Any way to lock return track envelopes to clips?

Post by SLEEarts » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Here's my situation (any help would be greatly appreciated).

I used several microphones to record my flugelhorn, and blended nearly all of them to get the sound I was after. Now I'm arranging and mixing, and routed all of these tracks to one return track acting as a bus. I'm automating several plugins and other mix envelopes on this bus. The problem is that, any time I scoot any of the clips around, all of the automation in the return track stays put. I can't figure out how to get these envelopes to lock to the clips they are automation. Of course, my automation on the track containing the clips locks just fine. Any ideas?

snugsound

Re: Any way to lock return track envelopes to clips?

Post by snugsound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 am

You need to select the clips as well as the return automation. If you've got other tracks in your project but only want to move the flugelhorn tracks then you'll want to drag them to the very bottom of the arrangement view, as close as possible to the return track (you'll see why when you try!)

Really, unless you're running Live Intro I would strongly suggest using a "Group" for busing. This will keep your automation together with your clips. And with group tracks you can simply collapse the group, select a region, and then cut/paste. This will then move all the contained clips as well as all the group automation.

BTW, a nice little Live trick: if you drag a device from one track to another it'll carry over the automation. That might come in handy if you do want to switch over to a group ;)