Backing track problems

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eemelind

Backing track problems

Post by eemelind » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey guys,

I'm using Live to run my band's backing tracks as shown on this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaCfsBXq-E

Few questions:

- Can I tell the looped MIDI click track to stop at a certain point? Say I want it to stop on the last hit of the audio backtrack?
- Is there a way each song/sequence (the "main" tracks listed on the Master column) would start from the absolute beginning (1. 1. 1.) without stopping the previous track? I mean, I have some songs that should overlap each other, but when I select the next song and press enter it starts from the position the last song was in when firing the next one.

Hope this makes any sense, I'm totally new to Live.

yur2die4

Re: Backing track problems

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Sounds like you have Legato turned on in your clips???

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 am

In clip view, click the little round 'L' in the bottom left corner to open LAUNCH.
Here, you can make sure that legato is off, as yur2die4 pointed out.
You can then set the midi click track's FOLLOW ACTION to STOP after however many bars you need it to.

More info in the manual 8)

eemelind

Post by eemelind » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for the tips guys, though that didn't seem to fix my problem.

Maybe I was being too inaccurate.

I mean the arrangement position. When I fire a scene, then select the next scene and fire it while the previous one is still playing, the arrangement position doesn't go back to 1. 1. 1. but keeps on going instead. Is there a way to make it so that I wouldn't have to stop the whole thing before firing the next scene?

Thanks again.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

eemelind wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, though that didn't seem to fix my problem.

Maybe I was being too inaccurate.

I mean the arrangement position. When I fire a scene, then select the next scene and fire it while the previous one is still playing, the arrangement position doesn't go back to 1. 1. 1. but keeps on going instead. Is there a way to make it so that I wouldn't have to stop the whole thing before firing the next scene?

Thanks again.

In regards to the click track, ditch the Live metrenome and build your own. I have done this on every daw I have ever used because I hate the sound of the click tracks frequency. Just create a new Drum Track (with drum instrument) and use suitable samples for the click and downbeat (a nice tight hi-hat for the click and a loose hat for the downbeat works well). Then create clips to suit your styles (4/4, 3/4 etc). Just play the clips when you need a click track or for your instance, create an arrangement and have it just stop when you need it too.

In regards to the Arrangement Vs Clips the arrangement will START when you press play and continue until you press STOP. The only thing that will affect it between pressing Start and Stop is the LOOP markers which can loop your arrangement.

AFAIK there is no way to use a clip to reset the arrangement playback to 1.1.1.

So what you are doing is using tracks in arrangement to play though but also triggering clips along with arrangement? If you need things to be starting and stopping etc I would just move your arrangement tracks into clips and create scenes. This would allow you to start/stop and do almost anything you need to. Using legato mode allows you to stop a clip and start it again without it starting from the start otherwise with it OFF triggering a clip will start it from 1.1.1 (just not arrangement).