Realistic snare rolls?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Post Reply
headfullofradios
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 am

Realistic snare rolls?

Post by headfullofradios » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 am

Hey does anyone have any tips on smooth and believable snare rolls...?

I love the kind of triphoppy beat style that has those micro fills between the snare and kick that sound like the drummer let their stick lag against the drumhead. Know those?

ah, better yet, an example from recent listening on Pandora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCmZAIr98U

Anyone? Please? :mrgreen:

MusicIsMath
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:16 pm

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by MusicIsMath » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Ghost or grace notes :)
Do a search and you'll find plenty of tutorials on youtube of how to create those kinds of snare patterns.

Angstrom
Posts: 14754
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Yeah, but Bernard Purdie is the most fun (ky) tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXGpa458Ig

"WhoooO, I like dat!"

headfullofradios
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 am

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by headfullofradios » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 am

MusicIsMath wrote:Ghost or grace notes :)
Do a search and you'll find plenty of tutorials on youtube of how to create those kinds of snare patterns.

Oh yeah! that's the term, I totally forgot that...

I found this one: http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/05/of ... notes.html

headfullofradios
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 am

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by headfullofradios » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 pm

anyone else got tips? I'm wondering how one uses samples to emulate ghost notes. It seems difficult to make them realistic unless you use one of Live Suite's multi-sampled kits, which may or may not always sound the way you want. What about using a vinyl drumbreak?

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 pm

*bookmark*

boderekstits
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by boderekstits » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:10 pm

headfullofradios wrote:anyone else got tips? I'm wondering how one uses samples to emulate ghost notes. It seems difficult to make them realistic unless you use one of Live Suite's multi-sampled kits, which may or may not always sound the way you want. What about using a vinyl drumbreak?
find any break - shit even the most famous Jame's Brown samples have ghost notes in them. vinyl would be your best sample. sample, chop, adjust velocity.

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Realistic snare rolls?

Post by miekwave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 am

headfullofradios wrote:Hey does anyone have any tips on smooth and believable snare rolls...?

I love the kind of triphoppy beat style that has those micro fills between the snare and kick that sound like the drummer let their stick lag against the drumhead. Know those?

ah, better yet, an example from recent listening on Pandora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCmZAIr98U

Anyone? Please? :mrgreen:
Make a Crescendo 909 snare roll in 16th or 32nd intervals, apply various groves timings to it, then slice n dice. Its pretty easy to do.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

Post Reply