Using beatgrids in ableton w/ Serato mixtape

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mistermemetic

Using beatgrids in ableton w/ Serato mixtape

Post by mistermemetic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey Ableton community,

My question is about the usefulness of beatgrids in the context of Serato mixtape. I know that beatgrids can used to sync ableton tracks to tracks in serato when DJing using the bridge, but what I'm asking is about is actually the reverse. When I'm recording a mix to .als using mixtape, if all of the songs in my mix have beatgrids on them, will it make them easier to work with in ableton when I'm trying to fix a blend/mix between two clips with warping?

All help would be much appreciated!

Re: Using beatgrids in ableton w/ Serato mixtape

Post by 102455 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

mistermemetic wrote:if all of the songs in my mix have beatgrids on them, will it make them easier to work with in ableton
When you say "songs in my mix", are you talking about songs you're playing in Scratch Live?

I think you'll find that the Scratch vs Live beat grids work in different ways. In Live the audio is flexible, and you can move it around to line up with the beat/bar markers, which are fixed. In Scratch though (and most DJ software) the audio is fixed and the grid moves, so with a track that has an uneven tempo, it's nigh on impossible to line the grid up properly.

So.......the tracks playing from Scratch into Live will be recorded straight - they won't be warped. You can then warp away to your hearts content in Live if any mixes need tightening up.

mistermemetic

Post by mistermemetic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks 102455 - yes I was referring to the songs I'm playing in scratch live. The reason that I'm asking is because I'm finding warping difficult and was wondering if it could be assisted by beatgrid. I might just have to dig in and build my skills. I'm wondering if there are any good tutorials about this specific kind of warping scenario (in a mixtape session).

You seem to be the one to talk to about this beatgrid business! I saw your reply in another thread as well - thanks again for spreading the knowledge!

Post by 102455 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm a DJ myself, as well as dabbling in a bit of production now and again, so I often make use of warping in Live to
straighten out old tunes recorded before the days of drum machines and click tracks.

I don't DJ with Live as I prefer hardware when I'm on the road, and as of right now there isn't any DJ software (AFAIK) that warps tracks the way Live does, so it's the easiest option. Warp it in Live then export and play the warped track on the physical kit.

What type of stuff do you play? Anything modern will usually warp in Live without much effort.

uchconveyor

Post by uchconveyor » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am

Mattress as well as Breakfast every day institutions have grown to be increasingly more well-liked because the 1980s with regard to immediately remains as well as accommodations lodging Flat Connector. Apart from controlling the amount of areas as well as arranging leasing actions, supervisors need to set up reservations or even bookings as well as figure out that Connect Clamp space can be obtained on the particular day. Why is this harder is actually a number of them get it done by hand. By using technologies points could be easier.