Alternative icons for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
su-Y

Alternative icons for Live

Post by su-Y » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 pm

I am a big fan of what Ableton designers did with Live 9 graphically, but personally I am a bit annoyed with the actual letters word "Live" in Futura on the icons, so I made alternative icons for myself using the new logo which is just great in my opinion. (Also the sticker on Dennis DeSantis'es mac looked terrific in some presentation he made).

If you feel the same, feel free to download them here.

Also while I am in it I wanna send a virtual hug to all Ableton's UI and graphic designers - one of the big factors which made me actively engage with music using Live and not something else was the beautiful, clean and unified interfaces and the general lack of skeuomorphism which is all over other DAW's.
Last edited by su-Y on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

login

Re: Alternative icons for Live

Post by login » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm

su-Y wrote: I am a big fan of what Ableton designer did with Live 9 graphically, but personally I am a bit annoyed with the actual letters word "Live" in Futura on the icons, so I made alternative icons for myself using the new logo which is just great in my opinion. (Also the sticker on Dennis DeSantis'es mac looked terrific in some presentation he made).

Also while I am in it I wanna send a virtual hug to all Ableton's UI and graphic designers - one of the big factors which made me actively engage with music using Live and not something else was the beautiful, clean and unified interfaces and the general lack of skeuomorphism which is all over other DAW's.

I completely agree . Live is the ONLY DAW that has serious GUI design behind it, based on ergonomics, ease of use and minimalism. Totally functional.

For me it's an eyesore having to open some VST's GUIS that totally destroy live's beatifull workflow, I would love Live allowed to third party developers to design skins for their VST's as those of the native instruments in live.

As for the Logo, thanks, I will use one of them for sure.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

funken wrote:Here's mine

incorrect and uneven spacing, in several ways and places

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:37 pm

su-Y wrote:Image

I am a big fan of what Ableton designer did with Live 9 graphically, but personally I am a bit annoyed with the actual letters word "Live" in Futura on the icons, so I made alternative icons for myself using the new logo which is just great in my opinion. (Also the sticker on Dennis DeSantis'es mac looked terrific in some presentation he made).

If you feel the same, feel free to download them here.

great idea thx
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm

I have some of the old school green icons I use. I try to save the icons and use prior icons to mark different things ;)

poonti

Post by poonti » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks su-Y, I'm gonna switch to one of those. Gotta maintain desktop Feng Shui after all!

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Anyone know how to change the startup splash screen logo?

su-Y

Post by su-Y » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 am

Hehe I also thought about the splash screen, but I didnt find a png of it, at least in plain sight. It might be purely typographic and generated in real time which is awesome and also uneditable :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 am

nah they packed the Splash graphic up into a resource file a while back after we all went crazy customising our Live 7's

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 am

8) thanks!

i found the new logo (just font) a little boring myself and much prefer the Ableton logo, any Ableton logo, to the word "Live" by itself.

i hate what they did to the website and forum. i was a huge fan of the minimalism... but i do like the rest of the look of Live 9.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:39 am

funken wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
funken wrote:Here's mine

incorrect and uneven spacing, in several ways and places
You weren't supposed to notice that.
any proclaimed fan of the new design would most definitely notice :P

Bayley

Post by Bayley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Looks like we had almost exactly the same idea!

I like to have all the icons on my mac more like they do on iOS so I use Candybar with a theme called 'Flurry' but obviously this doesn't cover all apps so I have a Photoshop/Illustrator template file set to the correct sizes/rounded corners and all that so I made one using the proper logo from the Ableton press resources.

If anyone wants they can grab the results here http://cl.ly/NTes. PNG and ICNS included.

+1

Bayley

Post by Bayley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Bump

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 am

Bayley wrote:Looks like we had almost exactly the same idea!

I like to have all the icons on my mac more like they do on iOS so I use Candybar with a theme called 'Flurry' but obviously this doesn't cover all apps so I have a Photoshop/Illustrator template file set to the correct sizes/rounded corners and all that so I made one using the proper logo from the Ableton press resources.

If anyone wants they can grab the results here http://cl.ly/NTes. PNG and ICNS included.

+1
+1 skeuomorphism is so useless, well done Abes!
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 am

Well I'd love to get rid of all those new icons and switch back to the 8 ones, but I guess that's not possible with Windows. :(