Sidechaining - Racks, Layered Samples, & Drum Cells

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dr.mysterium

Sidechaining - Racks, Layered Samples, & Drum Cells

Post by dr.mysterium » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 am

1. One can create a return track inside the DRUM RACK and name it SIDECHAIN RACK SEND.
2. Then send the desired kicks THRU this send by turning up the send level for each kick (as needed)
from the chain list.
Click the R button to expose the Rack Return List (if needed).
3. Now Create a new Return Track (or use the ones stacked by the master track if unused. Name it SIDECHAIN RETURN. Set its output as 'Sends Only'.
4. Go back to the SIDECHAIN RACK SEND you created in the Drum Rack per Step 1. Set it to send to the
SIDECHAIN RETURN Track you created per Step 3.
4. Add Sidechain Compressor to synth track and select the SIDECHAIN RETURN as the Sidechain input.

You can now select this SIDECHAIN RETURN to Sidechain anything anywhere off that kick signal.
Personally I create a new track and name it SIDECHAIN and place it far to the right away from my Red Box Launchpad work area. Then send everything I want sidechained to that channel from their outputs. This avoids arbitrary grouping of tracks just because I want/need them sidechained.
So for this example I would set the synth track output to send to this new Track named SIDECHAIN and place my Sidechain fx there.

W/ Love
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

birthday boy

Re: Sidechaining - Racks, Layered Samples, & Drum Cells

Post by birthday boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 am

Perhaps I miss the point, but you can already select a side-chain source from anywhere in any signal path since version 8, regardless of whether something is in a Drum Rack, Rack, whatever. This is what the second drop-down menu in the side-chain panel is for. The first menu only selects the track, the second lets you choose what chain or pad on that track, and whether you want to tap it pre-fx, post-fx, or post mixer. In your example if you want to side-chain compress / gate a synth from a kick in a Drum Rack, just select the kick in the second drop-down menu (Drum Rack / Kick / Pre-FX). Am I missing another purpose?

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 am

The title explains the purpose, layered kick samples in a drum rack.
A technique for layering kick sounds in a drum rack is triggering multiple cells.
Multiple cells cannot be selected as a sidechain input.
This technique results in more accurate sidechaining.

Some projects have audio drum loops stacked in a session track as well as a
Drum rack on another track. This technique also allows for all these kick sources
to be bussed and mixed together into ONE Return. (Just add a lowpass filter to the
Return track if needed for isolating the kick in the drum loops, or tightening the effect
of the layered kick signal).Then all tracks that need to 'duck' behind this mixed kick signal
can be sent to ONE Track, with ONE Sidechain Compressor.

One Return, One Track, One Sidechain Compressor.
Saves processor CPU. (And routing headaches)
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 pm

That's a good one!

Im using one drumrack for my entire Live performance, filled with a lot of different drum samples...
so far i've been sending the entire drumracks' signal to the compressor, using a high cut in the side chain...
problems: not so much attack, and not every kick i use has the same level; so troughout my set, the amount of sidechain Pumping varies a lot!

but this ist much more accurate!! and you can "level" each kick drum out, to trigger the right amount of compression...
Nice!!

Thank you very much!!