Tricks with Ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
infinitesinewave

Tricks with Ableton

Post by infinitesinewave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Ableton live is the shiznitz... awesome program. I'm so glad I switched... it's taken my workflow to a new level. Here are some tricks that are not so easy to do using a midi controller. Let me know if you would like to know how to do them yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtJ6GrzTL0

sowhoso

Re: Tricks with Ableton

Post by sowhoso » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:48 pm

infinitesinewave wrote:Let me know if you would like to know how to do them yourself.
uh...just tell us

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:27 pm

very cool

ionication

Post by ionication » Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

great stuff!
Some music related tips here
http://musician-makers.com

infinitesinewave

Post by infinitesinewave » Sat May 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for all those comments... right now I'm working on one more original track with 4 Quneos. Then I'm going to prepare for a live show in the summer. I have a promoter who is itching to get me playing live. I don't know anything about Djing... but I'm confident that Ableton will deliver. I'm going to be putting a live DJ set together incorporating live VST's using the Quneos, the APC40, my original tracks, and good Electro House music. I was going to go all out with the Pioneer DJM2000... but I just had a thought... is it necessary? I've seen some great DJing on youtube with just the APC40 and Ableton by itself. I think I can just get creative with what I already own instead of dropping 1-2K on DJ equipment. What do you guys think? Also is the upgrade to 9 worth it?

Post by 102455 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:41 pm

infinitesinewave wrote:Pioneer DJM2000... but I just had a thought... is it necessary?
It's not necessary to buy a Pioneer mixer. There are others on the market which offer better sound quality, are cheaper, or both.

I do think though that having the hardware (mixer) in front of you and interacting with it will give you more satisfaction, and if you have an audience it will let them see you're not just "checking emails". As you'll need a decent audio interface for gigging, you may as well get a mixer that has one built in.

infinitesinewave

Post by infinitesinewave » Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 pm

What about the APC40(which I already own)? Can that do the job of the mixer? It seems like it's more capable than a mixer so I'll be interacting with that... and not the computer.

Post by 102455 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 pm

The APC40 hasn't got a sound card though, has it?

When you're out on the road, you'll need something better than the output jack of a laptop to feed sound to the PA - so it may as well be a mixer.

Having external hardware that can work independently (not rely on being connected to the computer) is essential in a live situation if the worst happens and the computer crashes/freezes/reboots or just plain doesn't work for whatever reason. With a real hardware mixer you can easily have a backup audio source on standby.

Have a look at how this rather famous chap does it..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhsVNBcvjA

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am

If you use an APC40 you'll still need an audio interface as the APC40 is just a controller, no audio in it whatsoever whereas the DJM2000 has one built in. You may also want to check out the A&H Xone DB2 or DB4 mixers, I like how they sound a lot more than the Pioneers (I owned and played on Pioneers for years before just getting a DB2 but should point out that I haven't used the DJM2000 so I can't really speak to that specific model). An APC40 and a separate interface would be cheaper than any of those mixers but the mixers do also have built-in effects which could help to offload some processing from your laptop.