Using Launchpad without Live (e.g. commands) possible?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
th3frostey

Using Launchpad without Live (e.g. commands) possible?

Post by th3frostey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Hello,
I got my launchpad here on my desk and because i am someone who want to do stuff as easy as possible I just
wanted to know if its possible to use the launchpad without Live.
Or in other words: are there any programs that allow me for example to open a program if i press a certain button?
This would be veeery useful.

greetings,
th3frostey

yur2die4

Re: Using Launchpad without Live (e.g. commands) possible?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 pm

It has a lot of possibilities. But can also be tricky.

It has an 'Automap' mode. There is more information on Automap at the Novation site.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm

I've actually done this before, you can do it with Automap by mapping combinations of key commands to pads. Dunno if you're on Mac or PC, but on Mac you can use programs like Automator and Silverlight to set up complex actions, then trigger them with the LP. This is often better than trying to chain commands in automap because they have pause options that will keep the commands sent from firing simultaneously, thus defeating the order of events.

th3frostey

Post by th3frostey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay, thanks to both of you, I'll see what I can do. Well, I'm a PC user so.. yeah... we will see. but thanks for the help.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 am

well, I'd imagine there are similar programs that automate actions, a quick google search turned up this: http://www.autohotkey.com/
I'm sure there are others though, just look around. even without it, you can do some basic stuff just using key commands with Automap

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:00 am

You can also run monome apps by using it as a monome emulator (by running a monome emulator app/script) I was using my launchpad as a monome emulator long before I started exploring Live.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

darth_fader

Post by darth_fader » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

The Launchpad is a "simple" midi device which means it sends MIDI data out of the box and also can receive MIDI for lighting up its buttons. You can get the full spec from Novation.

With most DAWs or programs who support MIDI you can use it out of the box e.g. for executing a command or similar. For example I mapped some functions in Cubase to my Launchpad.

If you want to go fancier e.g. lighting pads or even a sequencer look at Bomes Midi Translator. But then you need to do some programming.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 am

I used mine w/ Traktor for awhile. Controlled two decks, fx, and instant grab. effects. Even had browser and load track function. Twas quite dope