Trigger Finger help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
boderekstits

Trigger Finger help

Post by boderekstits » Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 am

I'm using a trigger finger to play notes on ableton soft synths (Operator, etc), but, the notes won't play in order. Anyone know how to fix that? Scale plugin or...?

shatakaan

Re: Trigger Finger help

Post by shatakaan » Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am

you have to config the trigger finger:-)

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm

ok. how do i go about that? can you be more specific? configure it in ableton (which i've done I thought)?

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed May 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it works on preset 10, hit the program button, then the 10th pad (will flash p10 ). If that doesn't work, you could try the other presets, or create your own using Enigma, or you could set up what notes the pads send manually like this: http://etechdocs.com/tutorials/triggerf ... ually.html

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm

antarktika wrote:I'm pretty sure it works on preset 10, hit the program button, then the 10th pad (will flash p10 ). If that doesn't work, you could try the other presets, or create your own using Enigma, or you could set up what notes the pads send manually like this: http://etechdocs.com/tutorials/triggerf ... ually.html
right. this is the preset i'm using, and what i've set up. as i said, it doesn't play ableton instruments in chromatic order. This is what i'm trying to achieve. Drum racks and macros work great.

any ideas?

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

bump

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Thu May 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I don't know what you're still looking for, I linked you to a guide to manually resolving it, you hit the [memory recall] and [prog/bank change] buttons simultaneously, hit the first pad, use the bottom left (C1/Note/Min) rotary knob to dial in a note (they appear on the Trigger Finger's readout (sharp/flats will look like [note].1 instead of [note] 1) you will have to turn the knob very slowly as they are exact positions, not ranges, then hit the next pad, repeat for all pads, then hit Save and exit, then hit one of the pads (whichever number preset you want to save it to) and then you have your chromatic TF preset. Do you perhaps need a video? Here I made you a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2k44Tt ... e=youtu.be

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 am

antarktika wrote:I don't know what you're still looking for, I linked you to a guide to manually resolving it, you hit the [memory recall] and [prog/bank change] buttons simultaneously, hit the first pad, use the bottom left (C1/Note/Min) rotary knob to dial in a note (they appear on the Trigger Finger's readout (sharp/flats will look like [note].1 instead of [note] 1) you will have to turn the knob very slowly as they are exact positions, not ranges, then hit the next pad, repeat for all pads, then hit Save and exit, then hit one of the pads (whichever number preset you want to save it to) and then you have your chromatic TF preset. Do you perhaps need a video? Here I made you a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2k44Tt ... e=youtu.be
wow, thank you. Yes i'm a MIDI noob, still have trouble wrapping my head around it. i will get to work on this and report back. thanks again!

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun May 12, 2013 4:14 pm

well fortunately it is pretty straightforward, I used to try using the Enigma editor they provide for this purpose, but it is, shall we say, not the most intuitive piece of software around, the manual preset setting is far more straightforward, hit a pad, dial in the note you want, repeat, then save.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey, wanted to come back and say thank you. That was as easy as pie.

Another question for ya - how do i change octaves?

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm pretty sure there's no actual octave jump buttons, but if you hit the mem. recall and prog/bank buttons at the same time (like when you set up the pads), you can use the transpose slider (the first of the 4 sliders, conveniently labeled "transpose") to shift the notes up in semitone steps, so just move it until it's at +/- 12 or 24