NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
julius

Re: NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Post by julius » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:34 am

thanks for the image. That helps.

But I'd love to know for sure whether the script realy does work in Ableton 9.1.3?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

J

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm

jonboyuk wrote:
dynamiiic wrote:Hey people, I'll update the script maybe this week! There will be some new features!

Cheers!
Did this ever happen mate? :)

Hey! It did happened! Updated and new features! Unfortunately my macbook HD burned up, lost my data and the new script with it. Never worked on it again, will try to get hands on this soon!

Now lets help:

The script will always be compatible with Live (this is my opinion and what i've learned working on this) unless there's a massive change in the python API (like what happened from Live 8 ->9, because of Push). There can be minor changes (like code optimization) that makes the script not working, normally are simple and ez fixes.

The images with the CC numbers is not important, because you can open with a text editor the const.py file and place the CC numbers you already have on your NK.

To help, I need to know why you fail to use it. I need to see the log file of Live (located at /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live yourversion/Log.txt), dunno where it stays in Windows.

Upload the file somewhere e paste the link so I can look into it.

Cheers

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi dynamiiic. Unfortunately your script is not working at my PC with Ableton Live Suite 9.1.4. I configured everything in the KORG Kontrol Editor and in Live as you described in your first posts. When I'm done the controller doesn't show any light and does not react at all. What am I doing wrong? Thx for your help. -Udo

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:59 pm

This looks cool, i think i may try it on my Nanokontrol non-2 also.

Great job!

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Udo Behm wrote:Hi dynamiiic. Unfortunately your script is not working at my PC with Ableton Live Suite 9.1.4. I configured everything in the KORG Kontrol Editor and in Live as you described in your first posts. When I'm done the controller doesn't show any light and does not react at all. What am I doing wrong? Thx for your help. -Udo

Hey, did you read my last post? Pls provide me your log.txt
dynamiiic wrote:To help, I need to know why you fail to use it. I need to see the log file of Live (located at /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live yourversion/Log.txt), dunno where it stays in Windows.
@zeepster provide feedback later about that try!

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Here you go: http://udo-musik.bplaced.net/Ableton/Log.txt Thx for your help!

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Udo Behm wrote:Here you go: http://udo-musik.bplaced.net/Ableton/Log.txt Thx for your help!
The script on your computer seems not to be running correctly. I will update the script to the 9.1.4 version and we'll see if the problem is related!

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey guys! I can announce that the script is compatible with Live 9.1.4 as it is! No update to code needed!

I updated the first post with "Install Notes" so new people can properly install this without any issues unrelated to the script itself.
Dynamic wrote:People that cannot make the script work, please re-install the script by follwing the steps of the INSTALL NOTES section!
@Udo Behm: Do the name of the folder containing the script files at the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder inside Live is "NanoKontrol2ShiftAL9.1"?
If it is, then you should rename it to just "NanoKontrol2Shift" (step 4 in the install notes) and it will work. Please check this!

Cheers! :wink:

Udo Behm

Post by Udo Behm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi dynamiiic. Thx. That work's perfectly 8)

Exkey

Post by Exkey » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi guys. i have a NK2 but using the built in script kind of limits me when producing.

Last week I have been playing with scripts from a few people and tried to take my own version to work with.

At this point I have adopted this APC Emulation and a modded Mackie script which allows
the Solo, Mute, Arm button to hold there LED Lights while activated as well as the Sliders
and Pots to control Vol and Sends per track with the option to select which send using the Marker buttons.

Theres a page 2 which when activated the Pots map to a selected device Macros, as well as Set to Lock and unlock the device.

This has been mostly copying from other scripts and editing, i have very little practise with Python.
So Thanks to these guys/gals for there hard work.

The end goal is to have this:
[Done] = Fully Working

Page1 :

Transport = Play,Rec,Stop [Fix] [on page2 atm]
<< = Mixer Mode [Done]
>> = Ctrl Mode [Done]
Cycle = Metro [Fix] [on page2 atm]
Siders = Vol [Done]
Pots = Sends [letter] per track [Done]
S,M,R = Solo,Mute,Rec per track [Done]
Marker > = Select send letter per track [Done]
Marker < = Same as above [Done]
Set = ???
Track > = Overdub
Track < = Automate Arm

Page2
[any controls not listed here will have the same action as page1]

Pots = Macros on selected device
Set = Lock and unlock device
Marker > = Selects device to control [blue hand]
Marker < = Moves select back [ blue hand]
All LEDs Light up when a button is active.

This is a small project for someone with the "know how" in Python but on my own it will take me some time, so any help would be great.

Install:

1 - Download from link and unzip [https://www.dropbox.com/s/89815tzqgzkeb ... t.zip?dl=0]
2 - Place "NanoKontrol2Shift" folder to Ableton Live 9/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts
3 - Load NanoKontrol Editor and click "File" "Open" find the unzipped folder and open the "Shift" preset
4 - Click "Communication" " Write Scene Set"
5 - Run Ableton 9 and in Midi and Sync tab Select NanoKnotrol2Shft in the Controler Device window.

[Ableton 9.1.3] [ MacbookPro]

RafaMrqs

Post by RafaMrqs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:27 am

Hey There!

First of all congrats on what looks like a great mapping! I'd love to test it out and use it but I can't get the nanoKontrol to show up in the control surface drop down menu in ableton. I have done everything in your installation guide but I guess it might be a problem with ableton newest update, maybe? It's now running 9.1.5. Could it be it?

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 pm

RafaMrqs wrote:Hey There!

First of all congrats on what looks like a great mapping! I'd love to test it out and use it but I can't get the nanoKontrol to show up in the control surface drop down menu in ableton. I have done everything in your installation guide but I guess it might be a problem with ableton newest update, maybe? It's now running 9.1.5. Could it be it?
I would guess that is not an update related problem, has been like this to install for some versions and it will not likely change in the 9 version (IMHO).

The scripts doesn't show up in the "Control Surface" drop-down list? Probably it's because you installed on a wrong folder or the script folder has an invalid name.

Try re-install, see this page about how to install remote scripts!

RafaMrqs

Post by RafaMrqs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 am

dynamiiic wrote:
I would guess that is not an update related problem, has been like this to install for some versions and it will not likely change in the 9 version (IMHO).

The scripts doesn't show up in the "Control Surface" drop-down list? Probably it's because you installed on a wrong folder or the script folder has an invalid name.

You were write. I tried it again and it worked. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Now let's test it out :twisted:

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 am

RafaMrqs wrote:
dynamiiic wrote:

You were write. I tried it again and it worked. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Now let's test it out :twisted:
:wink: Enjoy!

djeuphemism

Post by djeuphemism » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:13 pm

dynamiiic wrote: Feel free to write suggestions
Hi dynamiiic. Tnx for your work!
I have some experience with mapping different controllers for different soft wears and a couple of time i was playing on a stage with APC 40.

After some time of using your script with Live 9.1.4 i have some ideas of updating it to more useful!
Here are my suggestions:

1) 2 modes and 1 separately for switching between SANDS and 8 DEVICE KNOBS:

- Shift Mode - STOP (HOLD to use Shift Mode functions)
- Alt Mode - PLAY (HOLD to use Alt Mode functions)
- Knobs Mode - RECORD (Light is turning ON when switched to SANDS and visual feedback Rewind, Forward buttons in Send up/down. And No visual feedback Rewind, Forward buttons when switched to 8 DEVICE KNOBS)

2) - Track Nav - Session up/down
- Marker Left, Right - Session left/right
- Rewind, Forward - Send up/down (Devices left/right)
*these changes for the visual feedback in Send up/down

3) OVERVIEW ON MODES:

DEFAULT MODE:
- Track Nav - Session up/down
- Rewind, Forward - Send up/down (Devices left/right)
- Marker Left, Right - Session left/right
- Cycle - Device turn on/off
- Set Marker - Does nothing
- Faders - Session tracks volume
- Knobs - 8 DEVICE KNOBS (SANDS)
- Solo, Arm, Mute - Session Clip Launch Matrix 8x3

SHIFT MODE:
- Track Nav - Same as in default mode
- Rewind, Forward - Same as in default mode
- Marker Left, Right - Same as in default mode
- Cycle - Same as in default mode
- Set Marker - Device lock/unlock
- Faders - Same as in default mode
- Knobs - 8 DEVICE KNOBS (SANDS)
- Solo - Select track & Clip/Device view for the Session controlled tracks (like in your CTRL MODE)
- Mute - Stop button for the Session controlled tracks

- Arm - The 3 first Arm buttons are assigned to the 3 scene launch, the rest:
- Arm 4 - Global Quantization
- Arm 5 - Tempo Down
- Arm 6 - Tempo Up
- Arm 7 - Metronome
- Arm 8 - Stop All Clips

ALT MODE:
- Track Nav - Same as in default mode
- Rewind, Forward - Same as in default mode
- Marker Left, Right - Same as in default mode
- Cycle - Same as in default mode