NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
floridagizzi

Re: NanoKontrol 2 MIDI Remote Script: "APC Emulation"

Post by floridagizzi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Will this allow scrolling through multiple devices on a track (basically left right arrow key emulation)? If it would I'd probably buy a nanokontrol.

Thanks!
HP Envy 15t i7-4700MQ 12GB RAM 240GB SSD 1TB HDD
MOTU Microbook II & Ultralite MKIII

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:22 pm

djeuphemism wrote:
dynamiiic wrote: Feel free to write suggestions
Hi dynamiiic. Tnx for your work!
I have some experience with mapping different controllers for different soft wears and a couple of time i was playing on a stage with APC 40.

After some time of using your script with Live 9.1.4 i have some ideas of updating it to more useful!
Thank you for you suggestions, but I wrote this script for myself and based on my experience of Live and the NK2.
You're asking me to do a full rework on the layout and I won't do that for a simple reason:

- This is my personal layout and I chose to share it with everyone.

When I wrote "write your suggestions" I was asking for ideas to fit in the current layout (like the pan functions).
Still, I will analyze if any of yours could be a good addiction to the current layout.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:28 pm

floridagizzi wrote:Will this allow scrolling through multiple devices on a track (basically left right arrow key emulation)? If it would I'd probably buy a nanokontrol.

Thanks!
Yes! The CTRL mode is for that purpose!

With the marker left/right button you can navigate thru the device.

euphemism_dj

Post by euphemism_dj » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 pm

dynamiiic wrote:
djeuphemism wrote:
dynamiiic wrote: Feel free to write suggestions
Hi dynamiiic. Tnx for your work!
I have some experience with mapping different controllers for different soft wears and a couple of time i was playing on a stage with APC 40.

After some time of using your script with Live 9.1.4 i have some ideas of updating it to more useful!
Thank you for you suggestions
So :arrow: After some time of changing Dynammiiic's script i decided to share with you my version for Live9.1.4 and higher

All are same as in last version of Dynammiiic's script + my changes:

1)
- Shift Mode - PLAY (HOLD to use Shift Mode functions)
- Alt Mode - STOP (HOLD to use Alt Mode functions)
- Ctrl Mode - REC (HOLD to use Ctrl Mode functions)

2) in DEFAULT MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Does nothing
- Cycle, Set Marker - Does nothing

3) in ALT MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Does nothing - Same as in default mode
- Cycle, Set Marker - Does nothing - Same as in default mode

4) in SHIFT MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Does nothing - Same as in default mode
- Cycle, Set Marker - Does nothing - Same as in default mode

5) in CTRL MODE:
- Marker Left, Right - Does nothing
- Cycle, Set Marker - Does nothing
- Arm 1 - Device left
- Arm 2 - Device right
- Arm 3 - Device turn on/off
- Arm 4 - Device lock/unlock
- Arm 5 - Tempo Down
- Arm 6 - Tempo Up
- Arm 7 - Global Quantization
- Arm 8 - Stop All Clips

So :!: now i have 4 free buttons for user map -> Cycle, Set Marker, Marker Left, Right and more simple & intuitive MODEs system!

BIG REQUEST TO Dynammiiic AND ALL PEOPLE WHO KNOWS PHYTON---> CAN YOU PLS ADD TO my script version Send selector A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H on Mute Buttons in ALT MODE (because we have very handy Select track function in CTRL MODE)

DOWNLOAD my version ->
https://www.sendspace.com/file/acav9v

fenz86

Post by fenz86 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 am

Congratulations for your work dynamiiic, truly amazing script.

I just installed it (I have Live 9.0.1) and the default mode works great, but if I try to change mode nothing works a part of the faders.. it seems that I have a problem of mode changes... and it seems I can't return to the default.

In the Editor I tried to put the CC#48 CC#49 and CC#50 both in Toggle or Momentary, both nothing change... Maybe I have to change the Off/On values?

Thank in advance!
Federico

fenz86

Post by fenz86 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 am

Sorry false alarm: seemed to be a problem with a particular project I used to open for testing (strange), with others works perfectly!

I just have a problem with LEDs: only the mode change buttons remain lighten. The other ones, also in SHIFT mode where would be useful to see active channels, lighten only for a brief moment when I press the buttons (S - M - R).

Is it the script not supporting LEDs change, or maybe I have to activate LED mode - External in Korg Editor? All the buttons, except for change mode buttons, are set to Momentary.

If the former, could somebody give me some indications about where to add LEDS code in the .py files?

Sorry for my poor english ;)

Have a nice day,
Federico

euphemism_dj

Post by euphemism_dj » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 am

ANOTHER BIG SETTING of nanoKONTROL2 -> YOU CAN RECONFIGURE MIDI MESSAGES OF VOL SLIDERS IN THIS WAY: left/lower value = 0, right/upper value = 108 -> and as a result we got a 0dB CHANNEL VOLUME at end of stroke of the slider!!!

+ finde another bug of this script -> you can move session "RED BOX" left/right only in DEFAULT MODE
+ another bug that we will fix is -> problems with lights feedbacks of clips in DEFAULT MODE (((

KGYX

Post by KGYX » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi, I downloaded the script and followed the installation instructions, but when I plug in my nanokontrol2 the knobs end up controlling the top row of clips and every other button plays a note. I'd really appreciate your help, thanks!

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:21 pm

KGYX wrote:Hi, I downloaded the script and followed the installation instructions, but when I plug in my nanokontrol2 the knobs end up controlling the top row of clips and every other button plays a note. I'd really appreciate your help, thanks!
Hey KGYX, thats most likely because your nanoKontrol is set to send midi notes instead of midi CC. In the Korg Editor it should look like the picture below:

Last edited by dynamiiic on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KGYX

Post by KGYX » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:07 pm

dynamiiic wrote:
KGYX wrote:Hi, I downloaded the script and followed the installation instructions, but when I plug in my nanokontrol2 the knobs end up controlling the top row of clips and every other button plays a note. I'd really appreciate your help, thanks!
Hey KGYX, thats most likely because your nanoKontrol is set to send midi notes instead of midi CC. In the Korg Editor it should look like the picture below:

Thanks so much! I got it sorted now. (:

dizzydeuce

Post by dizzydeuce » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 pm

This is excellent, Thank you* 8)

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:09 am

dynamiiic wrote:

Why didn't you just use the default CC assignments when you set the NK2 to Control Mode > CC in the Kontrol Editor? It seems like a lot of time to reassign individual buttons CC values to the ones you have listed here. Was there some reason the default CC values didn't work?

Also, in a previous post you specify that the CC values are to be set before switching the Control Mode to CC. You can't do this. You need to set Control Mode to CC before you can edit the CC values. Just thought I would clarify that for others, since I was stumped until I figured it out.

Lastly, I just noticed that in the image you supplied for the CC mapping, instead of being CC# 38, the record arm button of channel 7 is set to CC# 70. This appears to be an error.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Hey EarHax!
EarHax wrote: Why didn't you just use the default CC assignments when you set the NK2 to Control Mode > CC in the Kontrol Editor? It seems like a lot of time to reassign individual buttons CC values to the ones you have listed here. Was there some reason the default CC values didn't work?
There's no reason that the default CC value didn't work, you can use them. Just change the consts.py file and everything will work normally.
I changed the cc values because I was at first experimenting with merging the NK2 with the LPD8 as one virtual midi controller. So I swapped the midi CC values so i wouldn't have overlapping values.
EarHax wrote:Also, in a previous post you specify that the CC values are to be set before switching the Control Mode to CC. You can't do this. You need to set Control Mode to CC before you can edit the CC values. Just thought I would clarify that for others, since I was stumped until I figured it out.
You are right, show me where i said that to correct!
EarHax wrote: just noticed that in the image you supplied for the CC mapping, instead of being CC# 38, the record arm button of channel 7 is set to CC# 70. This appears to be an error.
Completely right again! Will correct!

Thank you for feedback and pointing out errors!

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:55 pm

dynamiiic wrote:
erikomic wrote:Hey dynamiiic, it sounds cool.
I downloaded the file but it seems to be made in "python scripting"...
Wich I have absolutely no clue about how to "make it done"

Do you go trough the korg editor ?

(I'm an absolute newbie for those things)

And further question > if I'm not "happy" with the new nanokontrol behavior, is it easy to go back to default ?...

In advance thanx.
Hi erikomic!
That's how MIDI Remote Scripting with Ableton it's done, with python scripting! And yes, you have to use the korg editor and yes, you can revert back to default! Here's a little tutorial:

1- Unzip, choose your version of the script (regarding if you use LIve 8 or 9). Copy the script folder to the remote scripts folder, here's how to do it
2- Then go to the Korg Editor and save your actual settings (File>Save As)
3- After this, with the editor go through each control in the NK and set the Control Change number (according with the image in my first post or that is in the zip file you downloaded), for buttons set them as momentary. Next, go to the slot near the NK light: set the Global Midi Channel to 1, Control Mode to CC, Led Mode to Internal.
4- Now go to Communication>Write Scene Data, after this the editor will prompt you if you want to save these new mapping (It's your choice)
5- Next close the editor, open Live, go to Preferences>Midi sync, in the Control Surface slot search for "NanoKontrol2ShiftALX" (where 'X' is the version), in the Input/Output slots is nanoKONTROL2. For Take Over Mode, I use "Value Scaling" but I guess "Pickup" should be fine too. Then under that, in the Input and Output of the nanoKontrol2 select "Track" and "Remote" for both rows.

To revert the changes in the Korg Editor simply go File>Open, load the file you saved before editing and then Communication>Write Scene Data and voilá!
And you are good to go, hope it helps!
Here you go. From your second post on first page of this topic. Thanks for clarifying about the midi cc values. And thank you for a great script!

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 pm

EarHax wrote: Here you go. From your second post on first page of this topic. Thanks for clarifying about the midi cc values. And thank you for a great script!
Edited! Thank you!