How can I jump between specific effect settings?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kingrhythm

How can I jump between specific effect settings?

Post by kingrhythm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 am

Lets say I have an effect parameter that goes from 1 - 100. I would like to use 4 drum pads on my controller and assign pad 1 to 22, pad 2 to 43, pad 3 to 66 and pad 4 to 90. Obviously these numbers are arbitrary but the idea is to jump to specific settings on this one effect parameter smoothy. I don't want to save each setting as a preset and reload because that won't be instant and will not allow me to jump smoothly. Also I don't want to use chains with different parameters and jump between soloed ones because the transition will not be natural.

So is there is way to do this that I'm missing? Have multiple controllers assigned to one effect/ instrument parameter but each with a different setting? Is there a specific plugin that will allow me to do this? M4L perhaps?

Thanks!

S4racen

Re: How can I jump between specific effect settings?

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 am

Theres probably other ways of doing it but yes m4l is an option, i do this in my Oktopad device to bring smoothing to the mixer page so you don't get jumps between values...

Cheers
D

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Clyphx x-controls
ImageImage

Colourman

Post by Colourman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I've done that using both an Oxygen 8 and the buttons on a uc-33. I had 4 buttons with the same Controller Assign number then edited each buttons data numbers. In the Ox these are "data 2" & "data3" and in the Uc-33 its "data lsb" & "data msb". I made both values the same to make it easier. So button 1 had values of 01, button 2 40, button 3 75 and button 4 127. Then midi map the control to any of the buttons and you can jump between any of the values.
To take it a step further you can assign 2 different values for each button which would give you a scale of 8 values. Its a great trick to learn as its useful for so many situations. Changing the rate of an Arp being my current favourite.