Custom Hotkeys / Macros with Keyboard Maestro

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
m.nash

Custom Hotkeys / Macros with Keyboard Maestro

Post by m.nash » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:54 pm

If you ever wished there was a hotkey for something in live that doesn't have one: check out Keyboard Maestro: http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

It allows you to create Hotkeys / Macros for literally just about anything.

For example, I've created a Hotkey: Command + Option + Shift + L = Lock Envelopes. I did this by getting Keyboard Maestro to record me clicking the little lock icon in the top right hand corner of the arrange window. Keyboard Maestro registers the location based on pixels and the action (mouse click), it even returns the mouse to where it was before I triggered the macro.

Another example: I created to work around Live/Push's browser limitation when it comes to hot swapping drum samples from inside a Sampler (inside a pad, inside a drum rack). For this I click Command + Option + Shift + [down]. That triggers the hotswap inside the Sampler and now I can hit up and down on my keyboard arrows to audition and hit [enter] drop in drum samples without changing anything in the instrument rack for the drum pad.

The possibilities are nearly limitless, and you can customize it for your workflow. Check it out.

jestermgee

Re: Custom Hotkeys / Macros with Keyboard Maestro

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 am

For PC there is BOME MIDI Translator which can do all the same things PLUS also accept and transmit MIDI so it is possible to take a key and send MIDI or vise versa. It's even possible to take a whole controller and change it's MIDI channel/s to help fit all controllers for a setup without conflicts with controllers that cannot change their MIDI (Launchpad etc).

Very useful tool indeed.

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:31 pm

m.nash wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:54 pm
It allows you to create Hotkeys / Macros for literally just about anything.
The possibilities are nearly limitless, and you can customize it for your workflow. Check it out.
Hi m.nash. How have you fared with Keyboard Maestro recently? Are you still using it?

I'm starting to dip my feet into it and am already finding it to be quite amazing for Ableton Live.

Thus far, I've only come across a few videos online about Ableton Live & Keyboard Maestro, but am already reaping the rewards.

Would love more ideas.

IAMBQ

Post by IAMBQ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Hey can plis send some macros for keyboard maestro?

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm

IAMBQ wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:32 pm
what kinds of macros are you looking for? what's your usecase that you'd like to macro-fy?

TexInATL

Post by TexInATL » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 am

esaruoho wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm
IAMBQ wrote:
what kinds of macros are you looking for? what's your usecase that you'd like to macro-fy?
He asked 8 years later...🤣

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 am

TexInATL wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 am
esaruoho wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:03 pm
IAMBQ wrote:
He asked 8 years later...🤣
inaccurate. the response to IAMBQ was in March 2021.

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am

IAMBQ wrote:
so far i've built some macros for automatically adding a device to the track, by pressing say shift-1 to create device X or shift-2 to create device Y.
I've also macrofied some of the right-click commands for audioclips/midiclips, and that has been beneficial. but i'm looking for other ideas. do you have some ideas?

IAMBQ

Post by IAMBQ » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 am

esaruoho wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am
IAMBQ wrote:
so far i've built some macros for automatically adding a device to the track, by pressing say shift-1 to create device X or shift-2 to create device Y.
I've also macrofied some of the right-click commands for audioclips/midiclips, and that has been beneficial. but i'm looking for other ideas. do you have some ideas?
yea - sorry for the long wait. I teenk It well be nice to push one key for editing li - reverb reverse/ or adding fades/ or shout down all plugins in a project

Abletoneer23

Post by Abletoneer23 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:27 pm

Hi, did anybody have any success with creating a macro that functions like an Auto-Zoom for the Arrangement View?

So that when executed it shows all tracks with the exact height and width needed to fit in the arrangement view?