Ableton 9 Snap to Grid discovery

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SKAGGS

Ableton 9 Snap to Grid discovery

Post by SKAGGS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Behold the mighty "SHIFT KEY"

After I had a bit of a frustration when Ableton 9 initially came out, I realized something. If you push the SHIFT KEY magical things happen!

Here's what I discovered...

If you make your grid wide (Cmnd+2) - hold shift then subsequently click the midi note you want to move up or down and move it - it stays locked. (**NOTE** --> Don't select that note before moving, or holding shift and clicking it will simply deselect it.)
There's a catch though- it only works with one note - You can't drag a whole selection (which is what most of us probably want to do)

Alternately the "Command" key also has magical properties! If you select all the midi notes in a clip, hold "Command" (mac) and click on a midi note - then move the mouse up and down you affect the velocity value of the selection! This leads me to believe there's a way to solve most problems or changes in work flow with key command combos..

Have a look and experiment - that's how I got over my dislike of Ableton 9 - now I don't ever want to go back..
• Mac Pro (5.1) Xeon Quad-Core 2.8GHz | 8 GB RAM | 2x 1TB HD | 10.6.8
• Live Suite 9.0.4
• ProFire 2626
• Moog Little Phatty SE-II - Arturia MiniBrute - Roland JX-3P (w/PG-200) - Nord Electro 2 "Sixty one" - Roland GAIA SH-01

tstu102

Re: Ableton 9 Snap to Grid discovery

Post by tstu102 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Ugh I'm nervous about upgrading to 9 for these "smart nudge" reasons. I like to be in grid mode or no grid mode, I know what I'm doing and can switch very quickly - I don't need Live thinking for me!