Windows optimisation for Ableton - one click routine

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
CaptainU

Windows optimisation for Ableton - one click routine

Post by CaptainU » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Here's a solution to achieving a 'bare bones', maximum CPU operating system prior to launching Ableton for those - like me - who need to squeeze every drop out of their laptop. I've learnt absolute tons of stuff here from you guys about Ableton. Here's my small way of giving a little back.

I have a number of 'performance tweaks' that I run to make sure I'm getting great performance from a very modest machine (Dell D630/Win7 Ultimate 64/120Gb 7200HDD/Core2 Duo 2GHz/ 4GB RAM). These include low graphics, disable antivirus, disable network & wireless etc etc.

To be honest, even though the performance is absolutely worth it, I wanted to try to automate the tedious routine of doing all the tweaks every time. So I've been running a program called 'AlacrityPC' developed by Ken Salter originally for enhancing gaming applications. It allows you to set up a 'one click' tool to turn off any programs, system services and run optimisation tweaks which can be configured to whichever way you want.

It takes a bit of setting up at first to achieve the result you want but I'm getting great results with this so far. I've set up a specific profile for Ableton with a dedicated Icon on my desktop so with a double click the thing springs into action, disables all my unnecessary stuff, turns off all the non-critical services and sets me up to go! It even quickly defrags my memory to make sure it gets every last available drop before I launch.

If you're in the same situation, give it a go and let me know what you think. I found this by searching BTW, absolutely no connection or affiliation to it. Brilliant!

'alacritypc.software.informer.com' designed for XP and Vista but runs perfectly in Win7

Cheers,
Nige.

dr.mysterium

Re: Windows optimisation for Ableton - one click routine

Post by dr.mysterium » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:13 am

Thanks for posting this.
Seems like a fluid way to create different profiles for optimization.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

CaptainU

Re: Windows optimisation for Ableton - one click routine

Post by CaptainU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Good point. I run Lightworks for small scale video production and I should set up a different profile for that - stopping some different services. Thanks.