What are your musical aims for 2014?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
re:dream

What are your musical aims for 2014?

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:52 am

So what do you want to achieve by the end of the year for your music? Release an album? Finish your first track? Play live at the Factory?

Mine are:

- Finish enough material for an hour- long ambient / chillout live set and play it live for an audience

- Learn to play the keyboards well enough so that I can jam with another musician.

- And find a group of people to jam with on a regular basis.

8O :oops: 8)

Tarekith

Re: What are your musical aims for 2014?

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 am

I have two:

- Get better at guitar, specifically my new acoustic guitar. Been playing for 20+ years, but haven't really studied or tried to improve in 12 of those probably. Already making huge leaps thanks to daily practice.

- Take my mastering business to the next level. I've been fortunate to have good success so far, now I want to step it up and start attracting more well known clients. Took a giant leap towards that today buying some truly proper mastering monitors, looking forward to what comes next!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:truly proper mastering monitors
pray tell?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Tyler Acoustic D2x, Emotiva XPA-2. I'll post some pics when they arrive in a few weeks :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:34 pm

I recently moved out from my parents place. Now I have enough space, I am sorting out how I want the space arranged. But this requires understanding my intent. Which even I don't know yet.

Broken down, I want to do more:
-Practice of reciting music and sheet music
-Tonal dabbling (preferably while staring out a window! Until my 'instrument' of choice ceases to exist as nothing more than the physical manifestation of relative tonal concepts in my head)
-LISTEN TO MUSIC MORE (and sometimes play along to it). Oddly, the more I get 'into' understanding music, the more I appreciate silence..... But if I'm never listening to music, I'm losing a form of interaction with it. Either mentally, or for practice.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Actually realease the three, or four, completely different albums I'm sat on.

Just for fireside fun I want to improve my finger picking, and my mississippi hill style .

Maxadax

Post by Maxadax » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Llearn musical theory better.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:38 pm

My biggest goal is to still have gigs...they've been drying up the last few years :oops:

Studio/recording goals, um, none, just keep plugging away at it.

Been offered a radio DJ gig...haven't been on air for 33 years, might get back in the saddle.

Pretty boring stuff, eh...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Make it less boring then :)

braduro

Post by braduro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Break the "it's not ready" bottomless spiral by just getting things out the door. And then finding my most congruent release schedule
Approaching a core group of trusted people in my life to get early pre-release opinions
Finding venues or parties that work better for me being clean, irregardless of what others want to do. Earlier shifts or the morning after? Brunch crowd, store appearances? Happenings, concert opener, daytime festivals? Touring band or duo? Gallery openings, launch parties? Radio program? Or just more like-minded (eclectic, open-format, funny) people.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

1: finish more songs/sets, and get them on Bandcamp or another site

2: utilize the Suite instruments primarily as I've lost a lot of time due to less stable 3rd party plugs and to researching/learning new plugs instead of actually using the ones I've got! Suite is totally capable of great results with a little ingenuity!

May you all have success in your goals!

Schmidi

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 pm

do a few more gigs

currently working on another live audiovisual set with my vj friend. im working on a big live set with my custom one string midi bass and fcb1010 and at long last (a couple of years anyway) it's coming together. a found sound field recording live noise set with the bass playing all sounds and influencing the visuals too. the images have a crustacean theme. hopefully we'll play it somewhere in june.

collaborate more. with anyone who's into it. especially with my brother too, who is just getting into making music on computers. currently he's loving reaper. i keep trying to turn him onto ableton but it freaks him out. so slowly slowly i guess.

learn some maxforlive (ha!)

make some more paintings and artwork

sort our allotment out and reap its vegetative rewards (not very musical but i have recorded stuff down there)