Realtime Looping ESSENTIAL CONFIG

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
yur2die4

Re: Realtime Looping ESSENTIAL CONFIG

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:30 pm

mac or PC? with PC I'd recommend using ASIO4ALL for drivers (as long as it is a relatively newer laptop). Eventually investing in a decent audio interface might be beneficial also.

theeggman85

Post by theeggman85 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:19 pm

PC. I tried installing that to see how it would work, but I had some trouble making my speakers actually work under these drivers. It's probably just my incompetence though. Are you saying that ASIO drivers alone could fix the delay in synching?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Once it is installed, you go to your Preferences on ableton live.

You go to Audio settings, and change your audio driver to the ASIO drivers.

Here is the thing with ASIO. It temporarily takes over your soundcard for the specific program that you are using. This makes the soundcard a lot more predictable for usage, and helps to drastically reduce 'latency'. So if you aren't able to hear sounds out of programs Other than Ableton, don't be surprised. You can override that simply by switching back out of the ASIO drivers.

Once you close Ableton, your soundcard switches back to normal in windows :)

To tweak the settings of the ASIO4ALL card, you hit the Hardware Settings button on Live's Audio Preferences. What I did personally was turn off any input or output that I didn't plan to use with Live. If you don't trust yourself, leave it alone, it should still work fine.

Hope this gets you amazing results :P

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 am

theeggman85 wrote:Not quite sure what you mean... but I'm using the exact setup as described in the first post of this thread but using my laptop microphone for the audio input. I'm not really doing anything specifically to "sync" the audio, but my loops are set at 4-bar lengths.
my bad, I thought you were talking about external gear not audio.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

abletonfan777

Post by abletonfan777 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 am

...nvm lol.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:50 am

This looks interesting. Can you explain with as much detail as possible, what MothersBrains setup would allow me to do? What problem does it solve?
Thank you
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Here's the summary:

You can set up a MIDI controller to let you move left/right and up/down thru the session view, and you can trigger clips, arm clips, stop clips, even trigger the Undo function.

At the time Mobrain taught us about this, we knew of no other way to do those things via MIDI except to buy one particular company's controller. For me, that was no solution, because I needed to do these things with footpedals.

This method should work for many other kinds of MIDI controller. I set it up to work on a Behringer FCB1010. I also tried it with a Trigger Finger. Worked great both ways.

It's been several years since I've used this, so things may have changed or gotten easier.

I expect to set something like this up when I get a QuNeo controller.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank you Mooncaine!
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 am

Glad to help when I can, just as other peeps here kindly help me. You're welcome. :)

Soennichsen

Post by Soennichsen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am

It has been ages, since this thread has been on, but I wonder if anyone found a solution with recording loops without having the metronome on. I play in a live band and we don't want to play to click, loops are essential though. I set the count-in to none for the first loop and the global quantisation to 1/32 to almost immediately play when I stomp the button. The problem is that the second loop won't be sound-on-sound. Is there a way to define the length of the second loop by however long the first loop is? Ideas?

Thanks a lot

Fritz

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:53 am

Sorry, I have no idea about that one. Anyone else?

motherbrain5000

Post by motherbrain5000 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 am

Live includes an audio effect called "Looper". Sounds like what you need. Cheers

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:54 am

Soennichsen

Post by Soennichsen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks yur2die4,

that should solve the issue. I just have to get Max For Live now.

@ motherbrainn5000: I know about the Looper, but I can't alter and mute the different layers afterwards, as it just merges them into on audio track.

OldBee

Post by OldBee » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:25 am

Hi All

I am new to both Ableton and the world of midi and audio interfaces, and am looking for some advice please:
I'm working on a new musical project that involves using the looper in Ableton to make and launch loops, running the following live and simultaneously through an interface into Ableton:

* 2 instruments (guitar and bass)
* 1 analogue organ (Korg BX-3)
* 1 mic (vocals)
* 1 midi keyboard (Arturia Minilab)

The thing I'm stuck on is whether it is possible to then route these instruments live out of the interface into their respective amps. (Vox AC15 for guitar, Fender Bassman for bass, Vox AC30 for organ and P.A for vocals).

Finding an interface with the appropriate inputs seems simple enough, but most have only main, line level and mic outputs. The thing I'm confused about is whether routing the guitar, bass and organs through these line outputs and into amps will work? is line level into an amp the same as directly from instrument into amp?

Thanks in advance